Options

Dinghy outboard storage on 342

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
For anyone with a 342 or similar, I'm looking to get a bigger dinghy outboard than my 3.3hp feller (looking around 8hp).  How are you storing on the boat?  I can't keep it on the dinghy as I have the Weaver davits.  I'm concerned about storing it on the swim platform as it gets swamped when I come off plane....unless someone has a trick to stop that, I've tried about everything.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    No way/room to raise the platform without mega $$$.  Does yours get swamped with water coming off plane?

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    checkmatecheckmate Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    I know that if I come off plane fast, my swim platform gets swamped. I always try to throttle down slow so it doesn't happen.
  • Options
    BoatruptBoatrupt Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    I have a 342 and also wanted to upgrade from my 3.3 hp.  I purchased a 6hp Suzuki and had to cut out some of the plastic molding in the transom compartment and remove the plastic side wall to make it fit.  It wasn't that hard of job and I put rubber mats down over the cuts outs and it works well.  Depending on the size, I'd be surprised if you could get an 8hp in there.  I'm pretty maxed out with my 6hp.
  • Options
    explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    I had a 2004 342 and I kept a 5 horse in the locker. It was tight but if you put it in right it was great. 
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Yes you can raise the davits as there is an option for that. My opinion only on storing an outboard in the locker. Unless the fuel line is drained completely, I say no way. The blower vents are in the locker in most rinkers. It's a direct access for gas vapors to enter the engine bay... enough said. Sorry to poo poo on that option.
  • Options
    Propane is heavier than air and needs venting too.  Plus carrying around a big propane cylinder is no deal either.  I do keep my 3.3 in the transom locker, always close the fuel line and run the carb dry.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I've looked at that. Interesting..weight limited though. I'm cruising craigslist for older 8-9.9hp 2strokes for lighter weight. I'll figure it out depending on the motor I get. Thanks for all the suggestions!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I actually look them up, either the small tank or go larger if you need the distance. Or a bucket of small ones. We do a fair amount of noodling around in ours so I think the small tanks would be a hassle. There are a lot of upsides to LP for small engines though.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod

BD, I have a couple people at my dock with the Lehr propane outboards.  They seem nice.  One owner still not sure about the purchase after a year.  He did figure out that if the thing sits on the wrong side, the gas floods it when you go to start.  There is a small diaphram you need to push to release gas thru then it's ok.

I'm right with you looking for the larger engine, & I have found two 9.9 gamefisher outboards (by Sears I believe), each for a very good price.  They weigh 65lbs, which is really what I'm after.  I will just probably hesitate too long and miss out.  I always have to think about it for a while. :-t

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express