Kohler Gen

BSelby13BSelby13 Member Posts: 6

2006 Rinker 270

Tried searching and didn't find anything that was helpful.

Ok, So yesterday while we were getting ready to leave the cove we were anchored in the boat wouldn't start because battery1 had run down. So I went down to the control Panel, and started the gen(I think). After it was running for a brief second I noticed that I had started it with the gen switch in the on position. So I turned it off and back on, and turned on the battery charger. When to start the boat, nothing. So I turned the battery switch to 2, and the boat started right up. Got the anchors in and started to make the way back to the docks. I kept looking over my right shoulder for the water out of the hull for the gen exhaust, but I didn't see anything.

Made it back to dock without a problem, and never saw any water out of the hull(exhaust port). Pulled into the slip, tied up, and turned off the engine.(looking back I am 95% certain the gen wasn't running at this point). Waited for a buddy to back the trailer down the ramp, started up just fine, trailered it just fine. Shut engines off, and got up the ramp. Then I started my walk through and found that the gen was still in the on position. So I flipped the switch, but at this point it was 100% off before I flipped the switch out of the water and up the ramp.

Today I took the boat out just to see if the gen would start and maybe check into a thing or 2. Back the boat down the ramp, went in a bit further than I have normally to get the boat out into water. Engine started and ran just like normal on battery1, but when I tried to start the gen nothing. So I opened the engine hatch looked at the panel and tried to start from the gen itself. There was 3 clicks and nothing. So I went down to the control panel and flipped on the blower motor for the gen(previously even yesterday I had only been using the blower at the helm). The blower motor turned on, press the button 3 clicks. So I gave up and pulled the boat.

Ideas, Thoughts, Suggestions.

Thanks Brian

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The starter is clicking? There is a breaker and a fuse at the panel on the genset. I'd start by cleaning the ground and + connection to the genny and at the batteries.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    I would look into a good spare parts kit like in the below link. These Kohlers are finicky. Also I wouldn't try to run it while under way/on plane. You would likely burn that impeller up quick. It sounds starter, fuse, or power related. Tough to tell from the info and uncertainty of circumstances provided. Start simple with fuses as BD said. BD seems to have more experience with these things than most. I'm sure not by choice. So listen to him. I have to finish working on mine tomorrow, ugg... http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/kohler-gm12310-sea-spares-maintenance-kit-for-4ef-5e-6ef-73e-p-433.html
  • BSelby13BSelby13 Member Posts: 6

I work at a car dealership so I was going to pull the batteries, and have them tested tomorrow just in case as another thread on here talked about week batteries. Also Was going to replace the impeller as I watched a video earlier on how to do it for the Volvo motor. Seems straight forward enough. On the bottom front of the engine. Also I don't know when the last time it was changed as I just got the boat in April. So better to be safe as everyone says replace the impeller all the time basically.

Is there any type of prep or bleeding of the system for the impeller replacement, or simply unscrew cover remove and replace?

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

you can simply remove & reinstall impeller, then start (of course with boat in water).  Some people may say lubricate with Vaseline a little, but I never have with no issues.

I've got the same kit craig mentioned & keep most of my spare parts in it for everything.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    A little Palmolive on the impeller and no prime required. As long as it's accessible on your boat it's a quick job. Don't forget to close your seacock.

So after having the boat plugged in Friday night and all Saturday the Gen started right up on Sunday. However there was no water coming out of the exhaust. So I shut it off after about 15seconds of running. Went out to the cove we hang out in, and started right up again. Again there was no water coming out, so I shut it off after about 20seconds.

So good news gen runs, bad news no cooling?

Is the thru hull valve open? Strainer clean? These self prime easily. Other consideration is a plugged heat exchanger from impellor pieces.

PC BYC, Holland, MI

Exhaust gas does come out through the hull, and the flappy cover.

After that, I am at a loss. Sorry. I can tell you the last time that it worked it ran without water for a very brief time then water would come out. That I am guessing is the priming that you are talking about. Is the strainer on the bottom of the boat?

Im sure these are stupid questions.

edited June 2014
    There is a thru-hull with a ball valve, then a strainer.  Both would be in the engine compartment.  If the valve was off when you changed the impeller, it is worth checking if it is open. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Just unscrew the cover, note the rotation of the vanes so you can get the new one in correct. Some liquid soap helps to get in the new one. Nothing to bleed for the fresh water cooling, it will self prime. If any of the vanes are missing, you need to backflush the heat exchanger: remove the anode and run water backwards from the exit of the heat exchanger...beware you get the right hose or you'll fill the engine with water! The pieces will flush out. Let me know if I can help, I've accumulated a lot of personal info through working on mine..painfully. lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Replace out of the water first.... I have changed them in the water, however you better have a great bilge pump. You don't need to bleed the pump because it is below the water line. I just use Vaseline on the impeller before I install it so the first turns aren't without lube/ water. So to answer your question, it's a unscrew cover and replace.