Options

How much is just right?

Here is my dilema... I am taking on overseas assignment for about 3 years. I am torn on selling vs. storing the boat. We love our boat and assuming we can return to the same area of the US would like the same boat on our return.

So i have convinced myself that I should list it high and if it sells them I am indifferent. So my question to the forum is how much is on the high end of 2005 FV270 with about 250 hours (no genny, no arch, no trailer). If I sold it on the high side I am sure I could find something on the low side on my return, or take the money I was going to spend to store indoors for 3 years and put it towards a bigger boat.

So nailing the "high enough, but not too high" price seems keey to my calculus. Thoughts on fair market value? I dont trust the blue book values... curious what these are really selling for.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Listing high means you just don't want to sell IMO. 3 years of storage plus costs to recommission especially from non-use (batteries etc) can add up. Price it to sell and you'd be better off I think. You can always find another boat to buy. Just my .02.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Google Rinker 270 and look at the units for sale on Yachtworld or some other sites. There will be pictures so you can compare your unit to those for sale, maybe even some in your geographic area. I'm 100% with BD. in my opinion it's neither worth it financially nor for the health of your boat to store it for three years. Figure out a fair price taking into account the price of storing it, insuring it and what it will cost to rectify three years of inactivity. gummed-up generator, carbs etc etc. BTW what if you don't return to your home port - then what, a fire sale?  My 2 cents - sell it. MT
  • Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    I also think sell.  In addition to the other costs mentioned above, your boat will depreciate over the next 3 years.  even if you aren't using it, it will be worth some percentage less than it is today.  Add that to the costs of storage, recommissioning, etc.  Sell it now in prime season and start boat shopping 2.5 yrs from now.
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What type/make of engine and OD? Either way I'd say sell it.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod

well, I'm gonna sound like a broken record here, but selling is your best bet (which it sounds like you were going to do).  But I also gotta agree to sell it quickly right now for the right price.  You will certainly find a deal when you come back.  3 years of sitting is very **** a boat. (impellers, hoses, fuel and other things already mentioned)

The 270 is a popular boat, which means it should sell fast, but there should be one available in 3 years as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    you may consider a broker at a marina, and work a deal with him over cost of storage whilst it's on the market, too.. get it in writing, and if you can't unload it before you launch, you'll be taken care of..

where are you geographically?
  • Options
    ithacarinkithacarink Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    Thanks guys for the input. This may be shocking but I want to sell. The admiral doesn't. Hence my indifference. The factors you guys mentioned about storing are a bit lost during translation. I did lots of research in terms of what they are listed for. I am in the middle of the pack in terms of asking price. Just more curious what they are actually selling for, as opposed to listed for. Tiki. Merc 350mpi with the Biii. As usual great input. Thanks. Oh yeah. Located in the finger lakes area of NY.