Options

5.7 Mercrusier having issues starting

Huff310Huff310 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭

I have a 2001 310 with twin 5.7 engines and the port side is having issues starting.  When I turn the key all i'm getting is a clicking sound. After about 5 mins it finally turns over.  I'm thinking its the starter assist soleniod.  I'm wondering if anyone has a part # or any other suggestions.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    trihogtrihog Member Posts: 1
    not good news but, a couple of years back I had the same issue on my starboard engine, 5.7, it turned out to be the gimbal bearing. Once I got it started you could hear the low rumble in the bearing.
  • Options
    sundowner8sundowner8 Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced my slave solenoid which fixed a similar issue.  When I turned the ignition key I would get a two to three second delay before the engine turned over.  No clicks and no noise until the starter kicked over.  Once I replaced the solenoid, it starts fine now.  A $20 fix.
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My money's on BD with the right answer. It's the 1st thing to go, sounds VERY familiar and an easy fix..... unless he's wrong. :D
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    well, since this was back in June, the answer should already be known.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I  had similar problem, replaced the solenoid, and also had the starter replaced. Thought between the two I had it nailed. Then, turn the key and nothing again...put it on bat 2 and nothing....put it on both and plenty of power, switch back to bat 1 and again, plenty of power. New starting bat, other bat less than a year old, cables all look new. I'm still stumped with it...
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Ras you ever figure out your starting issue
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did test the starting system (very detailed in the service manual) and found the "slow start" was from a dying starter that apparently got wet somewhere along the line. It is not sealed very well like I thought it would be. Had it rebuilt for $130.00 bucks and at least that part of the system now works fine...not sure what my "dead key" issue is, the ground to the motor looks good, battery connections and back side of the battery switch look perfect. I'm losing connection somewhere but sure can't find it. 
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    I have seen a smashed ground do that and improper wiring to battery switches 
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the starter was submerged then the cables were too. Never a good thing for the inside of a cable no matter how they look outside.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl