Trailering with mooring cover

kram925kram925 Member Posts: 9
edited June 2014 in Rinker Sport Boat Forum

I have a 20ft mtx bow rider and while trailering it back and forth to the lake I leave the cover on ( so nothing blows out ie seat cushions) and it works just fine. But over the upcoming 4th of july weekend I will be talking the boat aprox 3 hours from my home instead of my typical 20 min drive. I mentioned this to my dealer and they advised me not to haul the boat that far on expressway with the cover on. They never really gave me a reason why but I got the impression they though it was not a good idea...Any thoughts on this would be helpful. And if in fact this is a bad Idea what to I do with all the seat cushions so I don't loose one on the e-way ....

thanks in advance for any info..

Comments

• JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Always left mine on even when I did an eight drive
  • KYSEANKYSEAN Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Two choices. Take all the removable cushions out while free way driving or get a cover made for driving. Besides the chance of the cover you have coming off and losing it, imagine if it comes off at highway speed and covers the cars windshield behind you. A little wind under one snap is all it takes. Might not happen or it might. they aren't designed for road travel. 

By the way, that's a nice boat.
    2012 Rinker BR216 5.0
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always trailered without the cover on. If the cover comes loose in the rear of the boat, it will flap and destroy the cover very quickly.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • qwikwhipqwikwhip Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I used to, until I lost a cover. By the time I noticed it and pulled over it was destroyed. A friend lost one the same season as well. With the cost of canvas, it just isn't worth it.
    2005 Captiva 232 Liberty Edition, MX6.2/B3, Corsa
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your car insurance would probably be void as well. IMO  KYSEAN really closed the discussion with his comment about covering another car's windshield. The ramifications of that are chilling. When I had trailerable boats my insurance stated bluntly that any trailerable covers had to be affixed to the trailer via webbed straps "in good repair". Don't do it brother! MT
  • AnyfiveAnyfive Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
     I prep my boat for a 600km trip to be towed by a professional driver.  He removed cover saying it would be recked or lost so he removes all covers and loose cushions go down in the cabin or in storage compartments.
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't secure mine with any confidence for a ride over 63mph (my trailering speed). It always just eventually works itself loose and would kill itself.......or possibly somebody else.

Good luck and have a fun season.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • kram925kram925 Member Posts: 9

thanks everybody for the info!!!!

• 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I know boats are made to be wet, etc etc.  But if your trailering and no cover, do you run the risk of electronics getting damaged?  My question would be just for the standard gauges, I will remove whatever I can.  I was thinking of putting something over the dash to keep away from any water.  I am having my boat trailered and rain is likely.   
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270