kohler 5e spark plugs which ones?/flame arrestor

SERENDIPITYSERENDIPITY Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
i have a 2006  342 rinker  i want to change the spark plug(service side only) .in the manual  i have two choices MODEL  AS 04 which takes  NGK BPRs6a or MODEL  BS 04 which takes NGK BPR4ES .How can i tell what i have.tks     my second  question i have a sound  shield on my  genset.how do you get to the flame arrestor .is it possible to clean tks

Comments

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Factory plugs on the 5e is the ngkbpr4es. You'll want to change both plugs each season just to be safe. A pivoting 13/16th spark plug wrench makes it much easier. Space was really tight on my port side plug. The flame arrestor can and should be cleaned. I removed and cleaned mine today with carb cleaner. You'll need to remove your sound shields, remove black plastic cover that the coolant reservoir is mounted too, and then remove the three screws fastening the arrestor to the carb throat. There have been quite a few threads on kohler issues as of late. You should find some good info on different issues.
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are using the 'engine' manual that came with the genny: don't bother. It is a generic brochure meant for industrial applications and has wrong info for a marine genset. The BPR-4ES are the correct plugs.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • SERENDIPITYSERENDIPITY Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    TO my amazement  i pulled out  the spark plug on the  service side  and  found a champion 3322 .my local  parts store says  that plug does not crss reference to the  recomended .who knows what plug in on the other side?
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some don't even know there are 2 plugs...if you use the engine info you'll get the wrong plugs: been there. It will run on (1) cylinder until you put a load on it.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI