Options

Looking for tips on maintenance.

Over the winter, we bought a 2002 FV 310.  We have been having a great time so far.  This is our first boat, so I am looking for some advice on small maintenance things I should/could be doing throughout the summer.  Any advice would be welcomed!

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maintenance is a whole lot better than repairs... :-) it's very time consuming, though... But, a labor of love..

I've found that my engine hours and my maintenance are strangely related in terms of hours.. and that is with a tiny 212+ trailer... I can't imagine caring for a boat the size of yours..

I'd start with repairs, then move ultimately to preventive maintenance such as waxing, pulling electrical plugs and greasing to catch and prevent corrosion, move from stem to stern with your notepad and write it all down, with three columns of priority as you go.. it will be depressing around the end of the first hour, but know this: your boat will never let you down if you don't let it go.. there are dang few things that fly apart without some sort of warning. When you're down to charting and forecasting maintenance on a schedule, you're ahead of 90% of us.. and when that list includes rope inspection/maintenance, and you're doing so whilst sipping an adult drink on the dock- you've won.. :-)
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start with TLC on your engines and outdrives. Changing fluids as recommended, check every trip out. Boat US has some nice check lists, check their website. You might take a friendly chat with your marina / boat service service people about what to look for and service, plus your fellow boaters. You could be overwhelmed easily...so get the basics understood and move from there. Staying ahead, best you can, of problems is wise advice! Ask specifics on here and you'll get plenty of help!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod

Welcome to the site!  I had a '02 310 for about 7 years.  Fantastic boat and very easy to access what you need to for maintenance (except the impeller on the generator is a bit tough).

as mentioned, fluids is a good start.  Impellers every other year is another good one (if you don't know the condition, change them now).  Outdrive service is a good start to so you know where you are at with them.  when you start doing these things, you'll notice other items while you are in there you should do as well.  Greasing the coupler joints twice a year is good.  changing gear lube and engine oil each fall.  Keeping your strainers clean and check every other week or so is good.  Just dig in and start looking is the best thing you could do.  Under your mid-cabin cushions, you'll see a couple seacocks and the shower box.  the shower box needs cleaned out every so often.

Air conditioner air filters every so often need rinsed...I think that is a good start.  Enjoy the boat as it is a fantastic one!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Peg_O_My_HeartPeg_O_My_Heart Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Where can I find the strainers I need to keep clean?

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on your set up, you should have a straininer for: generator (in engine room), and straininer for the toilet and A/C.  Both of the latter are right by your thru hulls / valves.  Good to know these things if you ever got a leak!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    As BD said, the toilet and AC are right next to each other under the mid cabin berth (toward stbd side - yes away from opening).  Genny one is in engine room.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express