Options

Clarion remote brightness

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a Clarion CMRC1 remote at the helm and the other night I was returning to my slip at night. The brightness from the display is almost blinding at night. I had to place a piece of electrical tape over the display so I could see. Has anyone else noticed this and can I wire the display lead to my dimmer?
2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• Options
    midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Does the remote have an illumination wire, or is it just connected by a single cable? You could buy some tinted window film to put over the display. I'm sure a local tint shop would give you some scrap pieces for free if you ask!

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

• Options
    It has an illumination wire on it. I read on another forum that they connected it to the dimmer circuit, and someone else connected it to a separate switch to shut the illumination off. I don't want to tie up my last ACC switch for the remote illumination.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get a brass (marine) clip that has a female end to fit on an acc switch post and has two male ends (or female) ends to allow multiple attachments to one switch. As long as you want both attachments off at once that would work. MT
  • Options
    midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    I concur with MT, wire the illumination to an existing switch, and you'll be golden!

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

• Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    I have the same issue on my 08 320 - that Clarion remote control kills my night sight so I just bought a small piece of window tint material and cut it out the same size as the remote display - works like a charm :-)
  • Options

Just connected the backlight to the helm light circuit with the dimmer. So far, it seems to be working. I will know better tonight.

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Just bumping this up for an update. The dimmer circuit does work with the backlight on the Clarion remote. It has helped out a lot at night. The bad thing is that the backlight only works when the Nav lights are on. Not that big of a deal.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I would have seen this back in June 2016! When I tested out the LCD remote even during the day I knew it was going to kill my night vision.... didn't realize there was a backlight wire that could be manipulated. I went with this one instead and it's been great...

I only listen to music coming from my phone via BT so the screen really isn't needed... but I guess now an upgrade to a screen one might be okay..