Options

Raymarine Question

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
I have a Raymarine Chart plotter. Its an RL80C my question is when I set up chart orientation I can set up "North Up" "Course Up" but I can not set up "Head Up". Does anyone know why? I do not use my plotter very much but I thought this was strange.....
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    To use the head-up feature, you need to have a heading sensor installed on the boat.  

A heading sensor is a digital compass that measures the direction the bow is pointed ("head up").  If there's no heading sensor, and the boat is moving, the chartplotter uses the GPS course-over-ground to estimate heading ("course up").  

When underway at normal cruise speeds, you won't see much difference between course-up and head-up.  At slow or zero speed, there can be a big difference.  For example, if you are anchored and you turn on the radar overlay, it can be way off because GPS can't accurately estimate your heading.
  • Options
    Wow LaRea thanks for that insight. Do you have the sensor? Is it hard to install?
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    I recently installed a Raymarine EV-1 heading sensor as part of an autopilot kit.  It's easy.  If you already have a SeaTalk-NG network on the boat, adding the sensor is literally plug-and-play.  Unfortunately, the EV-1 and all other heading sensors are expensive ($600 and up).  

By the way, I'm doing a major helm upgrade that includes the autopilot plus a bunch of other goodies.  I'll post details when it's done, hopefully in a week or two.  In the process, I have learned a lot about Raymarine networking.  My boat actually has five networks all working together: SeaTalk, SeaTalk-NG, NMEA-0183, NMEA-2000 and SmartCraft.  Stay tuned for details!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I found something on Ebay that might work for about a $150. It really is no big deal I do not need it but I like having everything work on my boat.....LOL