Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

@icoultha - type big orange and big orange filter into the forum search box at the top right hand side of this page. We have had LOTS of discussions and LOTS of pictures posted in the past. the forum archives are awesome!!!!!

BTW@jaubry...this is a Canadian product and you can buy it here - often with a discount coupon. It is an amazing product. as I suggested to @icoultha - use the search box and if interested google the company and look for a discount code. I have had parts, the charcoal etc. shipped right to my door they are awesome to deal with.

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    @Michael T - did go looking, not enough it seems as I couldn't find the post that had his pictures and info verbatim. I'll poke more later.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Willhound, as you use your head you push volume into your waste tank, and that raises the level, which pushes stinky gases out of the tank.  The only way around it is to use an activated carbon charcoal filter to remove the odour before it is vented. If you stick a big orange on it, it comes with a vacuum breaker. This is needed when you pump out the tank.  You can't just stick a charcaol filter on the vent line without installing a vac breaker, as it restricts the vent and will cause the tank to collapse when you pump out ($$$). 

If you get a big orange filter, it is designed to protect the waste tank when you pump out. It's also very easy to replace the carbon, which you'll need to do once every year or two.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good post @skennelly. I was looking at adding a relief valve to my tank but it would be easier to add this to my diy filter. Where did you screw this in to the filter? I'm guessing on the side toward the top?
    i have a diy filter, I made it from my previous filter. I don't know of any existing relief valve and no issues yet, but I am looking at adding a relief valve just in case.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    You can really make it easy and just tee it into the vent hose before the filter...it doesn't necessarily need to be mounted on the filter itself.  If air can't flow because of a restriction in the filter having the relief anywhere before the filter would work.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes sence. Thanks!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That vent could work too. The one I had shown is bigger but if I build my own I'd just tee it into the unit. I'm debating. I can build one for about $20. Or the official Big Orange for $200 with taxes and shipping. $180 Is a lot of  Coors Light......and I like to tinker. For example, this isn't a "marine" BBQ (oh...the horror!) It's a stainless steel table top model that I built a base for. $100 instead of $300 and I can use it on the legs.on the picnic table at my slip too.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Love it @Willhound.  I'm all about the diy aspect of things if it can save me $$
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3