Options

Lightning strike!

SeaShiftSeaShift Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
I took a direct hit from lightning last week through the VHF antenna. Just got the estimate from my mechanic and it's 15k. I have lost the battery charger, one engine ECM, both engine alarms, VHF antenna obviously, VHF radio, stereo, two Rockford amplifiers, refrigerator, air conditioning, all navigation lights, two bilge pumps, gps/chart plotter.. Trying to still love boating waiting on the word from the insurance company! I'm wondering am I gonna have electrical gremlins for the rest of the life of the boat... Everything has power to it just won't power up. Has anyone had any experience with lightning?? Any advice would be great!

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, what a mess. I would be worried about every wire, switch, etc. on top of that, I would want full outdrive inspections (arcing across bearings will cause them to fail) and check the hull. A guy I worked with years ago had this happen and the electrical discharge thru the hull to the water made thousands of pin holes in the hull. Was a total loss.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW! Were you on the boat when it happened????
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Wow sorry to hear that. Hope you make out ok and keep us posted.... Good luck bro...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

x

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many tales of lightning strikes in my former boating circles being an ex-sailor. It was/is my greatest anxiety down here in the nations lightning capital of central Fl when these tropical breezes collide. Almost every day during the summer in Fl there's another story of a house fire or fatality from a lightning strike.

MTs advice to get a surveyor to have a look is very sound advice indeed. BA is right to question every wire and switch in the boat too.

As MT also said, thank your lucky stars (or whatever moves you) that you weren't on-board. It's NEVER pretty to be front and center when all heII (attn censors, that's a dbl cap "i") breaks loose in a split second.

Hate that random sparky stuff. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my home slip, I'm surrounded by a 70' yacht and several 35-40' sailboats; not wishing anyone a lighting strike..but hope they isolate me.  lol  :bz   Tiki: you are in lighting central there.  Be safe.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Tiki, what should we do if we are ever caught in a dangerous storm? Do you stay where you are and huddle in the cabin with all power off or try to make it back to the dock?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Here on Long Island the whole day can be beautiful then later in the day storms can pop up pretty quick. If your a 2 hour ride back to the slip what do you do?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I work on a military base.. some years ago a company sought and received a contract to build towers at the perimeter of critical infrastructure area of buildings.. a square mile or so.. these towers provide some sort of electromagnetic field that 'sposedly keeps lightening from striking in the perimeter, and having sacrificial rods attached to them...

No lightening has struck, but that ain't exactly saying these things work, though, is it... Talk about a darling contract..

It reminds me of reviews for an android ap that warned you if dangerous weather.. it had 4.99 stars.. 499 people praising it and it's function saying things like "fantastic ap! Sent me text message warning of tornado warning!"... This went on and on... And then the one negative said "didn't work. Tornado destroyed my house, and it didn't warn me"..

I too am curious to hear what long range steel hull sailers do when they are caught out... I'm curious if the procedure involves putting your head between your knees, stretching, and kissing your butt goodbye..
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    +1 on RYs comment. I'll be anchoring out for the next few days/week and won't be in a position to run. If last night was an indicator of our summer storm intensity, I'll want to hide. Whatta light show!

If a storm is approaching I'll try to anchor within a few hundred yards of shore so I'm not the tallest thing around, put out plenty of anchor line, lower antennas/rods. Don't wait until the last min or you might get the old Ben Franklin kite experience. That said you have to know that hiding under a tree is counter productive. Just minimize/keep a low profile and stay below.

I've seen many boaters run for their docks only to underestimate the timing and end up in a narrow channel jammed with boats in limited vision conditions in storm force winds/rain/lightning. Make the call early or have a plan to lay out somewhere safe. It'd be safer than trying to tie up in the middle of a sparkin' gale.

When on-board and a strike seems imminent, store your handheld VHF radio in the microwave to protect it as a last resort call for help if the worst happens and stay below away from electronics or (heaven forbid) the base of a mast. People usually get slightly more religious if it's really cracking around you or especially if you see a nearby boat struck. It may help to put away the rum if that's the case.... but not too far away as a celebration of life will be in order after the storm....hopefully :D

I've been within a stones throw of a number of strikes on nearby sailboats and was actually stunned by one. It's REALLY frikken unnerving and changes your macho John Wayne attitude of immortality and Cptn Dan tough/crazy guy bring-it-on disrespect for a giga-watt infusion. The soles of my feet hurt for days afterward and my head was pounding. I'm a pretty salty guy but these days I get like a cat in a cage during an intense storm. 

Be safe this summer and keep a cool head if the weather turns quickly. Everybody looks to the captain for calm assurance and good decisions when it hits the fan....and if you boat long enough it eventually will. As was famously said by the most famous/infamous of captains "If it's going to happen....it'll happen out there".

Cya on the water. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a friend who died three times from lightening.. once at the site and was resuscitated, once in the bus, and once on the table.. he lives today but has a very strong dislike for storms, as you can imagine.. he kept the combat boots he was wearing, which blew through the sides and took out the eyelets.. he is practicing law (no pun intended) in nc.. was a marine radioman when it happened.. had just asked the skipper to replace the whip antanna with the tape minutes before struck... Lieutenant declined, and there you have it.. ouch, huh?
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Tiki great story hope everyone follows your advice...............
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    SeaShift -- Tell your insurance company that the boat requires a complete survey by somebody who has worked with lightning damage before.  This is definitely not a job for an engine mechanic.  

(Unfortunately, I don't have a surveyor to recommend ...)
  • Options
    SeaShiftSeaShift Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    A surveyor has been and looked at the boat out of the water.  They are going to fix everything, it seems the wiring is good to go from what they could get to, and they took pretty much everything apart.   lots of electronics to replace.  $18000 job   
  • Options
    golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    Hey Tiki, your last post was very insightful. Excellent post! 
    Jerry
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch.

I've heard of fishermen out on the water, and all of a sudden they hear static and their hair starts going up. Those graphite fishing poles are a great attractor to lighting!

Wow, I would crap my pants.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"