Options

Where is that water coming from

frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
Hi, Lately I noticed that I had more water in my bilge then before after some investigation I found that is was coming from the transom of the port motor just below the drive shaft it is a constant dribble but hard to evaluate the amount over time.( Bravo111)For now I do suspect the bellows shifter or drive shaft but only have about 200hrs on the engine. My main question is could it wait until the season is over or should I do it now. I have the mechanical knowledge and all the mercruiser shop manual to do it but need about 500$ U.S. of pecial tools to do a proper job, plus the price of the parts 400$ U.S. And while at it probably should do both stern drives. Or spend the money and bring to the dealer. Any Infos or ideas or how to trouble shoot exactly where the water is coming from would be appreciated. Thanks Paul On the picture the green square show the drive shaft and the red square where there is some water .

Comments

• Options
    If you need a better picture to give me our advice I probably can do that........
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are better to deal with this now for a few reasons:

1. it will only get worse.  leaking bellows are in the top 3 reasons a boat sinks at slip

2. ujoints and the shaft will rust, possibly causing oil to leak..now you have a bigger job and more $$$

I'm pretty good mechanically, but for this I think I'd take it to a Merc service guy.  I'm sure some others can chime in, but between buying the special tools and your (and a friends) time is it worth it to DIY?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

x

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    Hi BD and Michael No extended warranty. Yes it seems to be a bit early for this to happen but I will probably have it look at a.s.a.p. The boat is a Rinker 300 express 2007 which was bought new at the dealer in 2010 I have the bill of sale. I think I will take a chance and call Mercruiser to see what they have to say about it never know..... Thanks Paul
  • Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Check the steering pin very common on the bravo III for the seal to leak. Right behind the motor on the transom wall. Google "Mercruiser Bravo steering pin" and you'll find all kinds of info on the seal problem.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    I will check it but it looks that the water is coming from the bottom part near the drive shaft . Thanks Paul
  • Options
    jaubryjaubry Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Paul,min sent you an email with First Pic mobile mechanic' cell number. He is a great resource.
  • Options
    Talk to Mercruiser this afternoon since the boat(2007) was sold new in 2010 there is a possibility that they could help depending on what the problem is, need to bring the boat to a dealer two choices close to home Hurst marina or Pirate cove marina. The rough quotation from Hurst marina is 1800$ per sterndrive.
  • Options
    Hey PartsMan you where right my water leak comes from the steering shaft seal an dribble down . A little more complicate and expensive than the bellows . Dealer says he as to remove engine to replace. I did find thru the internet that mercruiser has a kit to replace the seal and shaft whiteout removing the gimbal housing from the boat. Also a company call JR marine has a kit to do it and sell a SS shaft that will not rust . Weird with only 200 hrs on the boat . But at least I know that the bellows are ok and not doing any damages to gimbal brg ad drive shaft u-joint. Any body as ever done or install one of those kits I would like to have your comments. By the way it seems to be a current problem on Bravo 111. Thanks Paul
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x

• Options
    jaubryjaubry Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Where did you end up taking to?
  • Options
    Hi, So far nowhere need to talk Mercruiser and pic since the problem is not what we thought. No rush for now since the water is not in the bellows . Let you know Thank Paul
  • Options
    terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    Good luck with your problem. Terry
  • Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    I used JR Marine. They are a local company for me. I was able to pick up all the parts and they were very helpful. I did the job 2 years ago and still dry.
  • Options
    Hi PM. I already had a look at their web site their video was good. I will go with them. But the boating season is really short up here . Since that I know that there is no water in my bellows that would do damages to my bearings and u-joint. I am going to pull the boat out today let everything dry good then apply 4200 to the cut-outs of the transom then put her back in the water and do the job this fall. I am still talking to Mercruiser they did not say no yet. Boat bought new 2010 only 200 hrs. Again thanks for the infos Paul
  • Options
    PM did you use their SS shaft ? By the way met people with a Rinker 290 with 550 hrs where both steering shaft are leaking. I am wondering how many people with water in their bilge that are not sure where the leaks come from have these leaks on the sterling shaft . Seem to be happening quite a bit when you look on some other site .
  • Options
    petergriecopetergrieco Member Posts: 8
    I did that job this spring using JR Marine plate kit worked great! need shaft seal, bushings and lever that what I had to replace.

• Options
    Did you use their SS shaft ? Thanks
  • Options
    petergriecopetergrieco Member Posts: 8