Options

Pulling the motor

qwikwhipqwikwhip Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
Well my 02 250 Fiesta Vee with a 350 mag mpi has suffered from a rusted oil pan. Nothing like getting to the dock to find 5 1/2 quarts of fresh oil in my bilge. Sooooo with new oil pan and gasket in hand, I'll be pulling the motor this weekend. Just wondering if anyone has done this themselves and have any tips or advice.
2005 Captiva 232 Liberty Edition, MX6.2/B3, Corsa

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd suggest a service manual as a reference.  Then you'll need to realign the motor/drive when you reinstall.  While it is out you may as well look at the coupler, bearing etc.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A long time ago a man gave me a tip when lining the gasket up.. use fishing line and tie knots through the holes with the gasket on the pan.. after you start the first couple threads on each, cut them away.. it saves frustration.

For a few bucks more, get an aluminum pan.

It will never be easier to replace the oil pump and tube.. don't consider a high pressure, though, or higher volume either.. both can starve the bottom end and only really help with a higher capacity pan.

Main seals are a good idea, too.. again, it will never be easier..

While you're at it, and I hate to suggest work like this, but water pump is a good idea, along with timing chain and a new timing chain cover, too..

Some will suggest new bearing caps.. I'm not one of them, unless they are scored. Usually when they are replaced, the fuse is lit as the ones on there, again if in good health, are married to that shaft now.. New ones can cause weird oil loading problems.

The oil pump and pick up, main seals, and timing chain and cover are something I wouldn't consider not doing, though. The water pump is just insurance, and, water pumps will come with all the seals and gaskets to do the timing cover in most cases.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had this happen to me last season on my 2001 242 Fiesta Vee. I didn't have a way to pull the motor so I had to have a marina do the work.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I think the realignment is the only thing that I'm slightly concerned about. I will definitely download a manual though.
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    The motor is a pretty straight forward job with a hoist. Also once the engine is out I'd definitely pull the starter and grease those bolts(or replace it if it's marginal). If the starter fails it's a bear to get at those bolts and nearly impossible to remove if they're corroded at all.

After Aero posted his oil pan story last year I checked mine and it had significant flakes of rust but hadn't failed. I was able to clean it with a dremel and a cell phone camera to check my work, and then re-painted. Those pans are VERY thin steel. Sorry for your failure. Glad it was on shore and not running.

It's a good heads up for those who haven't checked theirs. Get your camera out like I did and cram it under there to see how yours is fairing. Good luck. Mike

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Mission successful. It was actually not that bad of a job at all. Out and back in in about 6 hours, on a Friday night, even under a tarp in the rain! lol
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    The way Rinker squeezed a 350 mag into the FV250 is like passing a camel through the eye of a needle
  • Options
    Yeah it was definitely tight! But after lifting about 8" we were able to rotate and tilt the motor and it came out pretty easy.