Proper Storage For Plastic Windows ???

picturethispicturethis Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
edited January 2015 in Rinker Express Cruisers Forum
When the windows arent in use how do you guys store the isinglass to keep it nice
I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb
Post edited by mvn on

Comments

• OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    I lay them out on the aft cabin bed with towels between them.
    Wayne '09 340 EC
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flat is best if you can, if not rolled up neatly with no creases and set in a safe place.
    2008 330EC
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made sleeves for mine. TLC goes a long ways to keep them nice.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,534 mod
    Laying the windows flat on a bed will definitely minimize scratching and creasing, but then you lose use of the bed.  I stored mine using custom-made canvas bags, and it worked great.  Here's how:

1) Get a 10-foot length of 6" diameter corrugated plastic pipe ($8 at Lowes/Home Depot, normally used to drain rainwater away from your gutters).  This pipe will serve as a core around which you will roll your windows.  The tube prevents the roll from collapsing and making creases in your windows.

2) Cut the tube into two pieces:  one for the windows forward of the radar arch, one for the windows aft of the arch.  

3) Cover each tube with cotton sheet or towels secured by cable ties.

4) Roll the windows around the tube -- not too tight.  

5) Measure the length and diameter of each bundle, and get a canvas maker to build canvas bags for them.  The bag is just a canvas tube, closed on one end with a draw-string at the other end.  Bonus:  Add a canvas handle along the middle of the bag.  

5) Roll the windows around the tube, put the bundle inside the canvas bag, and stow it under a settee or wherever makes sense.

This approach works well because (1) no creases, (2) protected from scratching, 3) easy to them move around, and (4) compact and easy to store.  I stored them under the port side settee on my 342.

• JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Great idea, I'm definitely stealing it!

I think having some sort of cotton "sleeve" thats the exact size of the window when laying flat would make it much less likely for them to be scratched also. You could slip them inside the sleeve which would prevent any plastic-on-plastic fogging issues, it'd dry any small amount of moisture, and you could still use a tube to keep them rolled nicely.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3

@Joe, I made sleeves cut to fit each window panel exactly, as you suggested.  Make the opening end a bit longer with a flap to close over it.  They work great: no scratches, deals with any moisture and prevents the plastic on plastic contact.  Something to consider is the material type/pattern (ex terry cloth can be the worst) as the material pattern can imprint in the windows if they are hot when they get stowed.  I used a cotton blend (other wise they can shrink!).  Make your patterns and then pick a material you can get in wide enough pieces to avoid seams.  :)

I'm sure the material store ladies wondered what the heck I was doing buying close to 30 yards of material.  lol 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    I roll mine in a towels and store in those chair bags no body puts their chairs back in works great

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    I made some "more or less" custom fit sleeves out of old sheets and added batting inside each sleeve - I made these about 5 years ago and each time I take the canvas down, each piece goes into it's sleeve and I then roll them up for storage. Originally, I stored them in the cabin but soon figured out that spiders LOVE to hide on the canvas pieces and adding spiders in the cabin was not a good idea. I now store them under the rear seat on my 320.
    My canvas is in it's 7th season and the eisenglass is still very clear - except the windshield piece which is pretty much shot due to sun.
    Take a bit of time and clean the 'glass at least 2-3 times a season and the panels will last a very long time.
  • bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    I clean mine really well. I buff them out with plastic polish, roll them up and put them inside for the winter.

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do the same and put a piece of paper on it before a roll up to keep the eissenglass from touching itself. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are lucky, the new Lexan windows may be as clear as glass (at least until they get scratched) but you can not even try to roll them up as they're way too stiff. MT
  • bryanpakinbryanpakin Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2014
    I keep it in paper .
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    @LaRea I gotta say what a genius idea.  Questions for you if you dont mind.  Why did you use corrugated pipe?  Is it smooth and strong enough from bending when carrying?

I am stoked to get this out of my basement and back on the boat for easy access.  I hated storing it in the aft cabin as it made the bed useless for other storage or guest.  

Im thinking of buying am umbrella covers as the storage bags.  Something along these lines but not necessarily this one or size. From your experience, think it will work?  Would add a handle.

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    Just remember if you have the "firm" windows that some call Strataglass or Lexan, they can not be rolled. they will only bend so far and then they will split before you can unbend them. That type I always store flat.
    Good point, one day I hope to have those on a future boat.  Keeping this eisenglass safe has proven to be eventful. Currently they are hanging from the rafters in my basement separated by very soft blankets.   
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    If you get the thinner Strataglas it will roll, not real tight, but it does. I have pockets made for each piece of my top with strataglas, they roll just fine. In the winter I do remove to clean and store flat. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    For me, corrugated pipe was the cheapest thing I could find that was the right diameter and easy to cut.  Your idea of buying an umbrella cover sounds great!  Cheap and easy.  My custom canvas bags were overkill ... they will probably outlast the windows by 20 years.  I went that route mostly because I have a really great canvas guy.

The corrugated pipe has a bit of flex, but once you wrap it with the eisenglass, it doesn't bend.

It would be a good idea to know if Strataglass changed the mils of their product. The versions I had in 2013/2014 were, imo, far too thick to roll without damage.

A possible explanation might be something else altogether - I saw an interesting reference to the windows that I have referred to as Strataglass and my marina referred to as Strataglass being called in a Rinker announcement somewhere as lexan.

If the 2013  and newer front windows are actually a lexan product then that would explain their stiffness.

There is no way that the product I had for the EC 310 or EC 360 should ever be rolled.

If you have the newer product - at least 2013 on or a replacement. I respectfully suggest you determine its thickness and composition before trying to roll it at all. In my case the only appropriate way, imo, to store (even briefly) the front clear "panles" was to lay them flat. And I put towels between them to do that.

I would have to look mine up, it does roll, just not tight. I had the tinted strataglass used when I replaced my camper top, went with Stamoid over canvas too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    On my prior 310, I had a thinner strataglass on the front that rolled fine.  I opted out of the tinting because the canvas guy said it would interfere with my polarized sunglasses.  Stamoid is some great stuff too!  My current winter cover is made out of stamoid light which is fantastic stuff!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have a breathable material, to avoid condensation from occuring within the packaging, which could damage the eissenglass during long term storage.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

My slip covers/pockets are a cotton blend, just for that reason. Terrycloth can leave impressions on the eisenglass if it is hot. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put mine under the aft cabin bed and put sheets in between but it is a pain! I love having them, seldom use them but want them available on the boat mainly for foul weather and overnights...
    Interesting @MarkB.  Maybe I should put some small vents in the material to make sure moister can get out...

Once they are wrapped around the tubing I am going to put a final wrap of cotton sheet around them.  

I will take them home during the winter to avoid those fall and spring temperature fluctuations.  

@Larea have any moisture issues with your canvas bags?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    I have always stored my eissenglass with sheets of paper in between, as I roll it up, so there's no plastic to plastic contact. The paper acts as a natural incadescent medium to prevent any condensation from occuring.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

edited June 2016
    Mark you say the paper will avoid moisture issues instead of cotton sheets?  I worry the paper is too rough?

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    I didn't have moisture issues.  A few times, I rolled everything up wet, so I had to take it out to dry later.
    New canvas comes wrapped in smooth paper. It doesn't scratch as far as I can tell.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Yes, Mark the, from the factory,  paper on mine was amazing but it was sticky backed and would be almost impossible to re-apply.
    Mine wasn't sticky backed. It is just loose smooth paper.

"Boat + Water = Fun"