Options

Smells gone! Big Orange Filter

jaubryjaubry Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
Well, I installed the Big Orange filter the evening, and instantly the smells disapated to nothing. This really works.

Comments

• Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Awesome, isn't it!

Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    that's awesome! No more porta-potty smell :D

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was pretty stunned at how effective they are too. An easy, inexpensive mod that remedies an odoriferous mess. Borderline magical I say. :D

I've gone as far as giving them away to my boating friends. The Admiral usually appreciates it the most. It's a primal male thing I guess.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    can anyone tell me where to access the exhaust hose on a 2001 310?  is it easy to get to in order to install it?
    thanks
    C
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO charcoal type filters on waste tank vent lines should be mandatory for anyone who docks in a public or private marina.....in fact a number of local marinas are considering just that!  I bet DI makes his raft mates during his big rafting parties use filters? :-) MT
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed..even to sit on mine was unbearable with a flush.   not anymore though!  :-&

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiki- did you trade in your home version for big orange? I was going to start making one but if you bailed on it and use the orange, then I will go that way..how much? How long do they last? 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I installed one last year. No smells since. Such an easy install.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Here is the one I made, I used a carbon pad that we use in air filters to remove odors as the pads in the ends to hold the carbon in. I then used actives carbon that we use in our water conditioners.

A couple fittings and hose clamps and we are smell free. I'm interested to see how long it last.

Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Great pics. Almost the same size n shape as mine. I use aquarium carbon pellets ordered through Amazon shown in my prior pics with piece of porous foam on each end. I change the pellets after about a year.

I like the a/c carbon idea even better.
    Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    ronbronb Member Posts: 5
    how do you install the big orange filter  also where can you buy them
  • Options
    Www.bigorangefilter.com

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    jaubryjaubry Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    It was a 10 minute job to install. 2 screws and 2 hose clamps. Then clip the filter to the base. Really, I flushed the toilet today just because...no smells I got mine at the Chandelry online
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

For those who did a do it yourself job, do you just let the filter/pvc pipe rest in place or did you create a bracket to fasten it down somewhere?  I'm off to HD today to get the parts to make one.  I had the big orange on my prior boat and it worked fine.  The admiral drew the line last week as I let the tank get too full and the off gassing was just terrible.
  • Options

I use tie-wraps to secure it to the outlet hose (or any convieniently stable spot) just to keep it from flailing around if I'm getting pounded on a rough day.

• Options
    edited July 2014

On my 342, I used a piece of AL corner to fasten to the tub wall under the seating and to the big orange.  The white tube at the bottom is just a spacer to keep the unit straight since I have more stand off with the bracket I made. 

Post edited by Black_Diamond on

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2014

BTW the Big Orange Filters come with a built-in vent to ensure that they do not impede air flow while venting during pump-out. Just another well thought out feature of the unit. MT
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Nice install BD. I use the tie wraps as well to install. Summerx, on your 310, stbd side, you will see a 5/8" hose go from the tank up to a vent just fwd of the tank, up higher. That is the line the filter goes on. I did it on my old 310, pretty simple. MT, most those that I raft with I've made them one or talked them into one. I have no sense of smell at all, but the admiral makes up for me.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

Thanks DI!  I will take a look for it next weekend when i am down at the boat.

• Options

BD, great job - nice clean work - really good to see. MT
  • Options
    edited July 2014

So I made the run to HD during lunch.  I spent $15 on parts and then went to Petco and purchased some activated carbon pellets, which was another $15 (enough for 3 fills).  I decided to do 2" PVC, 16" long, as the barbs fit better into the threaded PVC plugs.  Now to install it on the boat later this week.  Picture below.

• Options

hmm.  The picture doesn't seem to want to load.

• Options

CW, good for you! Your slip mates will love you! MT
  • Options

RY you obviously missed YOUR Admiral's post last week. Busted brother! :-) MT
  • Options
    270FVFamily270FVFamily Member Posts: 20 ✭✭

I installed the Big Orange last month and one of the hoses, the one from the tank to BigOrange, the stink is still there, ugh!  I truly believe it is the old hose though, the one going from the filter up and out of the hull.  The old piece I removed stank so bad on its own we gagged, and I'd already thrown it out on the swim platform!

So I want to replace the old hose and am looking on how to do that, we've got a 270 and the prob is I'm 6'5", kinda hard to get back in there!  I can't even get to where I can see the hose going out the the hull from under the hatch.  You should've seen the acrobatics I had to do to replace the bilge and float, lol.

Any suggestions?

B) 2004 270 Fiesta Vee - Bull Shoals Lake, AR - 350 Mag Bravo 3

Named her "FAMILY THERAPY" 

• Options

Two things:

1. Use new sanitation type hose (white) for the vent line.  Old type tubes or the incorrect tube will let the small permeate.

2. Check the vent hose connection at the tank: mine was all jacked up.  The fitting on the tank was 1/2"...the tubing was 5/8" and Rinker just used a worm clamp to smash it on to hold..but it did not seal.  I ran new 1/2" tube to a barbed adapter to get to the 5/8" and then new 5/8" to the big orange and then to the vent.

Find a smaller friend who is capable and willing to work for cold beer to help.  :)

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, getting back to this as to be honest, really have not had a problem...until now. What puzzles me about the issue is how does the choice aroma get into the cabin? When I open my head door I have no noticeable smell but the rest of the boat now seems to smell like a pert a potty. My additional concern would be is if the smell is getting into the cabin through the bilge, so would not Carbon monoxide? I have two sensors and have not had any issues with that. So the filter goes into the vent line for the tank, does it not vent to the out side of the boat? I need to get down there and check that out...
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    so your S@#% does stink LOL. sorry couldn't resist. check your clamps on the lines going to filter.