Options

Black water tank

When I have the marina pump out my tank, it collapsed at the end of the process.  It returned to its shape after the pump was removed.  I have read this could be a blocked vent.  Any suggestions on how to fix that problem?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The vent could be blocked, more likely the person was to aggressive with the sucker; they are using a 1.5" hose vs your .5/.625" vent line. Losing battle.

For $40 add one of these, takes 5 min to install:
    http://www.ardemco.com/sealand-313255247-tanksaver-holding-tank-relief-valve/

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Peg_O_My_HeartPeg_O_My_Heart Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    thank you for the quick response
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a waste tank safety valve that is 3" in diameter, as well as a small relief valve that came with my Big Orange filter. Still, I was surprised by how much my tank was "sucked-in" during the pump-outs and I could hear both safety vents whistling. Last summer I was at a marina and the dock boss came up to the teenager who was pumping out our waste tank and said "You're using too much vacuum, let me show you how to adjust it."  Most damage to waste tanks, other than age, is due to the use of too much vacuum. The $40 waste tank safety relief valve is probably the best insurance you can buy for your boat at that price. That and a Big Orange filter or like Tiki designed, a quality home-made charcoal filter. MT
  • Options
    srlamansrlaman Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    I bought one of those vent relief valves and it still sucks my tank in.  I have to pull out the valve which helps to keep the tank from collapsing.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    srlaman said:
    I bought one of those vent relief valves and it still sucks my tank in.  I have to pull out the valve which helps to keep the tank from collapsing.

Same here. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    So one word of caution.  It is likely fine.  No cracks or issues, however i would recommend pulling it out and inspecting it.  I had a loose fitting on mine this summer and the cleanup was a mess.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a hole in mine...never did figure where it came from...about 3/16 , was not threaded or anything...like someone drilled it in a spot accessible but hard to see...
  • Options
    kordokordo Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    My process is to push the foot peddle down and set the button on the peddle to keep the ball in the bowl half open as per the instructions and then open the engine hatch and watch what happens to the tank while it is emptied.  If there is an issue with it collapsing, I can tell the attendant to stop.  I have the tank saver and it opens when the tank is almost empty.  Works fine, this is after I replaced the tank due to PO allowing it to collapse and develop a crease that was sure to rupture and ...