Options

BRAVO 3 OIL TRANSOM FITTING

jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
I have a 2000 242 with a Bravo 3 outdrive that I broke the nipple off the fitting going through the transom for the gear lube reservoir while changing the gimbal bearing. I know it has to be disconnected from inside and pushed out, but I can't even see it, much less get at it in the engine compartment. Does anyone know how this is dine, or if the engine has to come out?   

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bummer, There'll be a break down in the Merc service manual for the drive assy found in the archives. Hope that gets you closer to what you need. I know the fitting and was careful not to hurt it when I changed my gimbel bearing last fall but can't shed much light on what you'll need to do to replace it.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    You can do it without pulling the engine. If I recall when I did mine. I first had to take off the intake water hose. Then I was able to get to the oil line. The oil line comes off just by pushing down on one end of the fitting and pulling it off. Now for the hard part. If I remember the oil tube is held in with an e clip. Get that off and then you can push the tube out. For the water line you will need special merc tool because the hose line is held in with this weird kind of clamp. You'll probably want to order a new clamp. Also have plenty of e clips at the ready when trying to put it back together. You will drop some and won't be able to find them. When putting the eclip back on. I got an extendable magnet and got the e clip to stand on end on the magnet. Lower down in place. Once there have a long screw driver ready to push it on. You will curse and be sore and miserable from this job but it can be done. Good luck

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help, It looks like a pain, but I may give it try.