Options

Speedometer

clbkabclbkab Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
When I put my boat into the water last month the speedometer does not register.  Any suggestions on troubleshooting?

Comments

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Most speedometers work off water pressure, meaning there is a hole in the front of the outdrive, or a tube off the transom. the faster the boat goes, the more pressure there is. Usually the hole gets plugged and it stops working. Once you find the hole, try cleaning it out with a piece of wire.
  • Options
    I'll check that out, I have a Bravo 3 out-drive which was winterized by my marina, perhaps they did something to it during the process.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either the hole is plugged, or the tube connector was not put bak on right (it has to be undone to remove the drive).  Either is an easy fix if you are out of the water.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I will be pulling the boat for cleaning and maintenance next weekend and will check it out.  Any illustrations as to what I am looking for on the Bravo 3?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

The inlet hole is on the leading edge of the lower unit, about mid-way up from the props.  A small pick will open it up if plugged. 

The hose attachment is on the upper drive portion leading into the transom.  Hard to explain.  See this link, page 88

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    If all of the good advice above fails - try removing (carefully) the rubber/plastic tube on the back of your speedometer inlet (barb) that runs from the pitot tube. Use a SMALL household air compressor to GENTLY blow air back through the tube. That clears 99% of blockages. It will blow them right back through the line and out the pitot tube. Son #1 doubted me one time and was looking at the pitot tube hole in disbelief that my plan would work - only to get a face full of water and seaweed bits LOL - who said parenting wasn't fun :-)  Make sure you zip tie the tube securely back onto the speedometer barb ( i now use two zip ties) or you will have water dripping onto your feet - ask me how I know that :-)  MT
  • Options

finally was able to pull the boat and it turns out when I had the boat serviced the speedometer inlet tube was left disconnected!
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

If only all boat issues were so easy to fix :D

Congrats. Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haha, yeah, that's a quick and easy fix. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod

Get a long 1./8" drill bit JB Weld a large wire nut on the end put it in a zip lock bag with a little oil to prevent rust and keep on board it will always come in handy

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn