312 Replacement Horn

SeaShiftSeaShift Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
Does anyone know where to find a replacement horn for a 2003 312.  I can see it from inside the anchor compartment and it has two round holes drilled in the hole overlapping.  Would really like to find an exact replacement to escape from cutting or changing the holes.   Anyone have any ideas... I can only seem to find the ones with single round part coming through the hull.

Comments

• frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that you have an Ongaro horn - it was pretty much standard on the Rinker cruisers for many years. Those Ongaro horns are a bit of a PITA - I have an 08 320 and the horn stopped working after about the 4th year I had the boat. On the old Rinker forum, there were quite a few discussions about these horns but unfortunately, that info is lost now. here's a link if you want to buy a new one but you may want to consider pulling yours apart first:
    http://schmittongaromarine.com/stainless-steel-standard-horns

When mine stopped working, I took the back of it apart, and sure enough, there was corrosion inside the removable back. You have to remove the sticker from the back plate and under that is a Phillips head screw and the back will come off fairly easily. Be very careful when removing the back plate as there are parts that may fall out - there is a piston that moves back and forth (more like a solenoid type device) that rapidly vibrates which in turn vibrates a metal back plate which in turn makes the noise. I found that the piston was basically corroded in place, so I removed it, used some fine grit sandpaper and cleaned the piston and bore and added WD-40, put it back together and when I re-installed the back plate, I added some sealant to the outer edges and the horn has worked great since. I did not have to remove the horn to do this. Good luck!
  • SeaShiftSeaShift Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    I have a recessed horn in the forward hull coming in through the anchor compartment.   The horn you listed is not even close.    

Anyone else have any idea where i can find that horn

• summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    I was looking for the same one on my 310.  the mechanic checked it out and found out that it was just a blown fuse that needed replaced, not the horn.  not sure if you checked that or not?
  • luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    I have a 312 also I was looking for the original it is a dual horn was unable to find one after looking for a long time had to buy single one just made a different cut To insert it