Options

Buying new 246 BR

mgillismgillis Member Posts: 3
I am likely going to buy a 2014 Captiva 246. 300hp Volvo, Dual Prop & Trim Tabs
 Here are my questions:
1. How does this model perform i.e. getting up on plane and cruising in short chop up to 3 ft ?
2. How do you gain access to the forward part of the engine compartment (bilge area). It looks like the centre of the rear seat back is designed to come 
out, but I can't figure it out and the dealer didn't know.
3. Is there anything I should know that you 246 owners were surprised to find out AFTER the purchase?
looking forward to your comments...............

Comments

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭
    1. I have a 276, so thats all I can base my opinion on. With a 350 Mag/Bravo 3 combo its planes VERY VERY easily regardless of fuel and passenger amounts. With fiull tanks a 6 people on board I have to use more trim tabs to keep the stern up and a little more throttle, but literally its on plane in a couple seconds and never needs much more than 1/2 throttle. I'd assume the 246 is the same or better, as its a little lighters. I really havent ever felt the need for the big block, especially with the $10k upgrade price.

2. Cant help you on the engine access, but I'm sure your dealer has one in stock and can show you.

3. Couple things I wish I would have ordered with mine:
    • Windlass - On windy days it'd be nice to just flip a switch and never leave the helm. My wife is OK, but its hard to communicate exactly what I need sometimes. Can get a little stressful in tight areas. You lose the bow ladder, but I havent used it once since we dont beach the boat.
    • I'm kinda happy I didnt order the arch. I leave the bimini folded up maybe half the time we go out, and its nice to have easier access under low bridges. It looks really cool, but I dont know if its worth $6k. 
    • If the trim tabs are optional, absolutely get them. No question.
    • Get the upgraded radio package with bluetooth and USB input. It was only $75 but I thought whatever I can add an input. Nope, the Sony remotes have a proprietary connection that makes it a bit more complicated to add stuff. 
    • Get the full canvas package, really extends the season and makes it much more enjoyable on the 60* days.

I've averaged right around 3mpg and no major issues to speak of. I got the dealer to throw in 5 years powertrain warranty. I'd definitely get a trailer if you can, since it would be really nice to pull it out of water for cleaning and maintenance, and also to take it on vacation. 

Here's a nice review of the 246

http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=1027

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3