Options

New destination for vacation...

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, after a lot of thought and checking around we bailed on going up around St. Augustine and booked a place down around Sebastian Inlet. Before everyone hollers, I know that inlet can be a real problem- have no intention of going out on the ocean...I keep telling my wife that, like where the heck are we going to go, England? Anyway, looks like there are some cool spoil islands in the area, I have our dingy set to go to find a nice one to hang out on and there are a few dinning places on the water in the area but in general, don't know the area. We are staying at a place called Captain Hirams which we have been there several times before by car. We have spent the last 4 years over in Tiks's area at Cayo Costa and other area islands but with the bigger boat wanted to try something different. We will be there for a week...and will have access to our vehicle which previous years we did not....anyone having any local knowlege of the area, will appreciate any information!

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    St. Augustine's is very nice. I like!!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

Rinker- that is a trip I am going to make and there are some other cool ones as well, some obvious and some not. From where I live on the St. Johns River/ Sanford, you can go north up to Jacksonville and get into the ICW and come south and end up litereatly 45 minutes from where you started as the St. Johns also runs North/South. From the Kissimmee area/Orlando, you can go South on the Kissimmee River into Lake Ocechobee (sorry for all the spelling, why don't we have spell check?) and then go East or West to the Gulf or Atlantic. Another not so obvious one is there is a chain of lakes west of Sanford called the Harris chain of lakes: you can put in there, go north through some locks and then into a river that goes to the Rodman dam and then on to Jacksonville from there and again, be 45 mins from where you started by car.....not sure I could do that with the Rinker but would also be a cool trip!
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Can't help with the east coast advice. We thrive in sw Fl.

Ironically I'm sitting on the boat at ft myers beach at a cruise with 6 others boats who came down the Kissimmee river across the lake and down the caloosahatchee over 150mi away. Its an idyllic night and we leave tomorrow to head back up through Cayo Costa to pull out in Placida at Palm island Marina.

Here's a pic from where I was today and one of the current view. Cya on the water. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    If you know this lighthouse you've been to a top vacation site with endless white sand beaches and great fishing.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Sweet pic's Tiki.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    TheSaltTheSalt Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    wow...  that looks great!

~ 1998 266 Fiesta Vee 7.4 B3 ~ Salt Lake City, Utah ~
  • Options
    that would be the light house at Boca Grande!
  • Options
    Nope.
  • Options
    Yep yep
  • Options
    have been there yet.......we just love the Cayo Costa area so much I don't know if I get over that way I could go anywhere else...I really enjoy the seclusion there.....
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Oh yeah, seen that light house by boat as well. Sure do miss my old man having his boat/house in cape coral.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    South West Florida as far as I have traveled is the nicest area I have seen to date....I love the seclusion of the area......it looks like Fl from a hundred years ago....
  • Options
    SSSHHHH. The beaches off of Cayo Costa are too crowded now.... :ar!  B-)

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About St. Augustine. There was a restaurant there a long while back right on the St.John River called Salt Water Cowboys. I had a great meal of blackened crocodile and cold beer in mason jars - do any of you guys know if it's still around? MT - guess in this day and age I could just "google" it !
  • Options

here is one of those crowded beach pictures....

004.jpg 90.1K
  • Options

actually, this is upper captiva island....

• Options

Here is Cayo Costa....

• Options
    edited July 2014

How does anybody find a place to put a chair on such a crowded beach :D

Wedging your boat up to the beach with all the boomboxes jet skis and poorly anchored runabouts is a real chore too......

It helps that they caught a world record hammerhead shark a few yrs ago about a mile away...cue the jaws music.... Just sayin' (mostly sayin' to preserve my hermit like tropical boat paradise for myself) :D

....Come to Boca Grande, Cayo Costa and relax on the bow.....

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Next time I get to Sarasota ( my favorite Florida spot ) you'll have to show me how to get to those spots looks great

• Options

you sail south along the coast and when the condo's start to fade, your there! It is stunning!

• Options

We rent one of the few homes on the island that rent (maybe 10 houses total on the island), it is erie in the evening as the total isolation is overwhelming. We usually go in July so the few other homes that are there, the snowbirds have flown back north and you just about have a private island! Love it!

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    edited July 2014

I've enjoyed the one called picnic island (I believe, or maybe that was another one).  We went to one that the dolphins followed us to and had a very nice sandy spot all to ourselves!  Man I sure wish my old man had his boat and place in Cape Coral!

Oh, we had saw some dolphins on our last trip coming back into the southern end of the Chesapeake....who says we don't have all that up here as well!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options

Sounds great admiral might not like it but I would and let's face it some times it's gotta be about us lol

• Options

I was surprised my wife adapted to it- she's the type that camping out is the Holiday Inn..the homes are nice, they run on solar with no air but they are built way up in the air and the windows open all around, we were actually looking for covers at night. This is the first home we stayed at, which was a little ruff....if you go to VBO (vacation by owners) web site and put in Cayo Costa you will see the couple of homes that you can rent....the prices seem to be going up from past years but I think we stayed for right around a grand for the week. There is a made made channel on the bay side to dock your boat and the renters have either golf carts or 4 wheelers with a trailer to hall the crap around...we have stayed at Little Gasperialla, Cayo Costa and Upper Captiva and each has their own charm!

home.jpg 105.4K
  • Options
    what I don't know is if a 270 will make it in there..the water is pretty skinny but I think it would. Over the years I have found the deepest water and the last time we went with our bowrider we had no issues, the first time we went we had a heck of a time getting to it!

• Options

Looks and sounds great to me don't have anything like that here in Lake Erie 

• Options

In Florida you have the panhandle area and SW Florida that have some really undeveloped beaches....not sure how much longer they will last.

• Options

Dolphins, sharks, sand flies, no-see-ums, heat/humidity and Alligators are all a real part of the natural experience on Cayo Costa island. Locals understand the "Florida experience" and that (along with the lack of a bridge) keeps the visitors in check, hence the uncrowded beaches :D 

Our pics above from Ft Myers beach at Pink Shell Resort with a quick rental boat ride across to Sanibel lighthouse, 3 huge pools and water toys standing ready on the beach is a more civilized experience. The .50c trolly runs 8mi S along the coast passing hundreds of shops and dinner choices.

The 170' high speed KeyWest shuttle also leaves from near there for a 3hr skip across Fl Bay at 40mph everyday (R/T if you want. 8am dep/11pm rtn). Well worth the experience just to hear the four turbo diesels wind up while they blow huge rooster tails out of their quad jet drives. Grab a comfy seat in the a/c and watch the bay peel by or play slots/blackjack once out past 10mi.

KW is certainly colorful and fun. We'll catch the KW shuttle on Fri and get a B&B and rent a scooter in KW for a fun weekend of snorkeling and rum poisoning, then return on Sun to FM when we've had enough. Sappy tourist shot before aforementioned poisoning.... :D Cya, Mike

• Options

RY, I figured I'd have your attn at "diesels".... lol

• Options

yeah, well we were sitting on the beach on Cayo and did have a gator come up behind us, that was a bit unnerving... not sure who was more startled, him or me but he took off first!