Options

342 blower issues

checkmatecheckmate Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
My blowers stop working on my 342. I took both blowers out thinking they were bad and was going to buy new but I stopped myself. I hooked them up direct to a battery and both of them ran. Checked panel fuses they were good. Pulled switch out to check it. 6 wire switch.......I'm lost now. Don't know how to ohm check it. Any advice???? Like to know for sure what the problem is b/4 I become a part put-on-er. Light does cone on when I hit the switch.

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of checking ohms check to see if there is power to the wires for the blowers.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Should be reading 12 vdc right?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would start with the breakers. Then you engine fire ext pressure switch wires. The blowers cut out if the wires are disconnected (or the ext goes off).

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, 12 Volts DC
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I jumpered out the two wires at fire ext and blowers took off running. So what does that mean is bad? Looked at charge of fire ext and its just below the green, which means to charge it. So is it possible that because of low charge on fire ext causing blowers not to operate? The tag shows its never been recharged. 2002 boat
  • Options
  • Options
    That's the problem! It might be hard to get it recharged or very $$$ to recharge, that's a Halon system.

There is a newer system out. Look at www.fireboy-xintex.com.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Ry I took wires off pressure switch, turned on ignition and no light. On further investigation I looked inside where the light is supposed to be and I don't even see a light bulb. So don't think I'm much help. I might have pulled the light recp. Out when I had dash out to look at my blower switch. I'm gonna have to investigate a further.
  • Options
    Took dash apart and their is nothing leading to the indicator light. Someone put tape over hole. I don't even see any wires hanging their. So my safety fire system has never even been operational.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Mines the same way. Always on.
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    RY Let us know about your mod Paul
  • Options
    Yup, something wired badly on this.  I'll have to dig into this after my upcoming trip, no time to deal with it now.  Been that way for 11 years...  lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Took a while but now peoples with the fireboy know that something looks wrong about the green light staying on. Paul
  • Options
    So if I'm reading the post right, if I go out and spend the hundreds $$$$ if cost to replace my fire ext. Its still not going to work because of the fireboy system doesn't work properly because indicator system light always stays on whether pressure wires on or taken off?
  • Options
    @Checkmate: the fire ext will work, heat triggers it. The light would let you know it discharged, that's all.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    IThanks bd. I learn so much from this great forum. I feel 3 times smarter from reading everything on this rinker forum. Wife may think differently. Haha. But for real, its like free tech support and many different answers that makes your mind think outside the box.
  • Options
    Just got an e-mail from Joe Ross at Xintex. According to him a wiring problem. I will send me the proper wiring diagram. Paul
  • Options
    You would think that light is pretty simple to wire correctly.  lol  Just a ground interrupt switch on the fire ext.  I looked at the upgrade to the light that has the horn alarm for an audible alert.  I know that light is not easy to monitor where it is located. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Joe Ross send that. So that green light should go off when both wires are disconnected from the FR pressure switch
  • Options
    Joe Ross just send me an e-mail asking.(Was you unit installed at the factory or was it a local install?) I know mine was factory he will get back to me
  • Options
    Factory too here.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    Getting interesting here. Definitely a topic I'm watching. I've had the misfortune of needing my Ext to go off(luckily it did and saved the boat). Please be persistent on this matter. Someone's life could count on it. I have three good friends with 342s and will push this issue with them.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    RY,. Give me Randy e-mail and I will do it and copy Xintex on it Paul
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    My green light is on all the time as far as I can tell.  I will diagnose further soon.  2005 Rinker 360
  • Options
    The e-mail to Randy and Joe Ross at Xintex has been send
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I`ll check guys. MT
  • Options

Hi.

Here is the answer I got from Randy Rinker in regards of the wiring of the fireboy. As you could read they did not get any complaints so it is being treated as an isolated case.

Paul,
    We really did not get complaints about this, so these must be isolated cases. I have attached a wiring diagram for a 300. The Fireboy light gets its positive power from the ignition circuit purple wire. The ground is a black with yellow stripe. This goes back to the fireboy. The other black wire from the fireboy goes to the ground block in the engine room. If you disconnect both wires from the fireboy and the light still stays lit, then the black with yellow tracer is getting a ground somewhere else. It could possibly be mis-pinned at the dash connection with the wire coming from the fireboy light goint to a ground wire instead of the black with yellow tracer going back to the fireboy.

Randy Rinker
    Warranty / Customer Service

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:32 AM
    To: Randy Rinker
    Subject: Re: Wrong wiring on Xintex fireboy fire extinguisher

Hi,
    Rinker 300 Express 2007 U.S. RNK88555K607. On the Rinker forum many with the  342 model have reported the same problem all factory installed .

Proud owner of a Rinker and thank you for your excellent service.
    Paul

On Jun 25, 2014, at 9:22, "Randy Rinker" <rrinker@Nauticglobalgroup.com> wrote:

Paul what model boat do you have and the serial number? We want to see if this is just one model or more.

Randy Rinker
    Warranty / Customer Service

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:53 PM
    To: Randy Rinker
    Cc: Joe Ross
    Subject: Fwd: Wrong wiring on Xintex fireboy fire extinguisher

To whom it may concern.

We did find out on the Rinker forum that lots of owners have a wiring problem on their fireboy installed at factory. The green led light monitor on  the dash on which means a fully operational fully charged fire extinguisher is ready for  use,  will come on even if both wires at the pressure switch are disconnected.
    For many proud Rinker owners this is a real safety concern that should be resolved as soon as possible .

Thank you for your understanding
    Paul Richer
    Canada.

Cc. Joe Ross Xintex

• Options

If Rinker boat owners don't check their fireboy and report the problem or correct it will stay that way and let's hope that it will never cause a major incident.