Options

Need a new stereo

bmaxbmax Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
My stereo, an MB Quart AM/FM/CD on my 2011 EC 310 is slowly retiring after only 2 full seasons and part of this year. Does anybody know if there is a head unit that will fit with the existing wiring harness? My speakers, amp and sirius reciever all work fine but it seems every weekend there is a new problem with the head unit, one remote is completely dead and the other is intermitent, any recomendations on what to replace it with? Hopefully sometyhing that will last longer than 2 years.

bmax

Comments

• Options
    midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Hey bmax,

You have a lot of good options out there to choose from. There are head units that have wired remotes and some that have RF remotes. It might be tough to find a new head unit with the exact same wire harness, but a new one will be easy to wire in if your good with wire strippers and crimpers. The wiring for most car stereo head units are pretty standard since many manufacturers have merged or bought out by someone else that makes car audio. 

I have an Alpine UTE-52BT mechless Bluetooth head unit with three RF remotes, Sirius, etc.. and really like it. Alpine, Sony, Kenwood, Wetsounds, and Fusion all make quality gear and there are a few others as well. Crutchfield is a good place to start when picking out new gear and the advisors really know their stuff. 

If you choose to install your own head unit, I can help you with the wiring. 

Cheers!

MW 

:D

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

• Options
    bmaxbmax Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Hey Midweste thanks I may take you up on that, I'm leaning towards a Kenwood KMR-D558BT with 2 wired remotes, going to check it out tomorrow, a local audio shop has it all in stock and he tells me it is simple to swap out with my existing.

bmax
  • Options
    MXZ0588MXZ0588 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Anyone have a wiring diagram or the color codes to tie the aftermarket alpine deck into the factory harness?
    2001 Fiesta Vee 242. 350 MPI. B3.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What boat?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!