Rinker cabin lay out

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
Eventually my wife and I want to up size from our 242, are there any Rinker models under 30 feet that has the forward birth forward of the table. My wife likes the idea of not having to convert the table to go to sleep.
2008 330EC

Comments

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    The 260 EC had an aft cabin, which is essentially a queen size bed. If you're only 2, you wouldn't need to drop the table.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 280 EC has a queen size bed in the aft cabin. One of the reasons that we chose the 280 is that we can leave the table up and not have to worry about what is in the aft cabin. If it is a little messy, we pull the curtain shut and no one can see it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a specific reason why you say "under 30 feet"?  Maybe you need to trailer the boat?

The 342 offers permanent forward berth, mid-cabin berth with curtain, generator and a head with separate shower. With twin I/O propulsion, it is easier to dock than your 240.  And it still cruises 32 mph and draws only 24" with the drives up.
  • JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Our 290 has a full size forward berth and queen size aft the dinette converts to a third for a small person but better for a child
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no specific reason why I said under 30 feet but being able to trailer it would be nice also cost of maintenance would be lower.
    2008 330EC
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But.... Without a trailer, you are married to the marina that you dock at. In Pittsburgh you pay them to put you in and take you out. With a trailer, I make the decision on when and where I put the boat in and pull it. If I want to do a midseason bottom cleaning, I can do it on my own terms, not the marina's terms. You also don't have to pay for stand rentals. Then again, there are marinas that won't let you store a boat on a trailer. I ran into that when I purchased my boat in Baltimore and I had to tow it back to Pittsburgh. The marina where it was stored wouldn't let me keep it there for 7 days on a trailer. The "best" that they could do for me was one night. I had to agree to it... Their world, I am just passing through it!!!

Keep in mind, you can get a trailer for a 342. There are many of them in Pittsburgh with trailers.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    edited June 2014
    RinkerYan said:

Aero, the cost of maintenance? Boat in slip = no trailer maintenance, no ramp fees, no fuel to tow.

I think its a wash.

That's true, I would only be using the trailer to put it in at the beginning of the season and out at the end. Maybe pull it mid season to clean also.

2008 330EC
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    342...342...342. lol. Life with the boat in a slip is nice, personally. When I see the hours long line for public launch or rack storage..I'm already good to go. You can trailer a 342, need permits by me due to the 12' beam.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Believe me I know, I used to trailer my 21' Regal I used to have. I love having my 242 in a slip all season.
    2008 330EC
    If you like being in a slip as much as we do then go with 342 you will not me disappointed

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for trailering.....Our ramps aren't really terribly busy unless it's a panicky run from a thunder storm or a holiday launch day at peak time. I really like having my boat at the house to putz around on, do regular maintenance, load/unload for a long weekend.....and the lack of dock fees is the icing on the cake. Insurance on a trailered boat is also significantly less expensive due to the ability to run from a storm. If you can't keep it at home then you'd loose most of those benefits.

I really enjoy the extended cruising ground available when trailering and with the price of fuel it's far less expensive to tow it to my next weekend haunt at 60mph rather than locked into the same few spots near my marina every time I'm out.

As for size, I'm sure the 342 CAN be trailerable, but it's truly impractical for a weekend warrior. My 270 is challenging at many marginal ramps and launching a 342 would be impossible at all but the best (not to mention the towing rig needed). As a marina boat or on a lift it'd be great.

(Bias alert)......I'd offer that the best compromise of economy and size will be in a comfortably beamy trailerable boat (up to 9'-6") under 28' with a big cockpit for entertaining, large rear berth and good interior headroom, adequate galley, a/c, heat, genset  full camper canvas, huge swim platform and a larger easier to maintain economical single Mercruiser....... Hey, amazingly that's my boat. :D

I guess I'm not much help after all. lol. Good luck, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    It's likely that the issue you're going to encounter is a matter of beam vice length. I can't recall seeing a boat with an 8-6 beam that has that layout (just spent months looking for myself). I love having that. But it ended up being something that I had to compromise on.

Check out the Regal 2760. It's my "sub-30' " boat sweet-spot dream. wiiiiide beam, luxury, fantastic layout. but ended up being too big for me. 

maybe next boat.
    I just looked at the Regal 2760 on the internet, has a great layout.
    2008 330EC
  • qwikwhipqwikwhip Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    aero, Doesn't your 242 have an aft cabin?
    2005 Captiva 232 Liberty Edition, MX6.2/B3, Corsa
    Yes, it does.The ceiling is low and is tight for two adults to fit comfortably.
    2008 330EC
    Since we're doing some unthinkable blasphamy how about a bayliner 28 or Chaparral 27? They both have fixed fwd bunks, dinettes and aft bunks too. Personally I can't sleep in the bow of a power boat with full strakes that slap water all night, not to mention pitching around if the wind pipes up.

The aft bunk in our 270 is just roomy enough to wrestle with the Admiral but plenty roomy to sleep comfortably. It's somewhere between the size of a queen and king bed. When we convert the V-berth we call it the sultans bed because it's so enormous, at least for a boat that I can still trailer.

BA is right that extra beam opens up everything. Pushing the trailerable limit for beam sure adds room and options over a standard 8'-6" boat. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    You guys are so spoiled. I only have a v-berth with BARELY 6' of length in my 276, and we spent a night in there with my wife & two 80lb Labrador's. Get cozy!
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    $3 a foot is CRAZY expensive. Around here its like $1-$1.50
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
    Now that's a bit OT but there's a thread worth starting RY. "Your marina fee and why it's good/bad". You could cover transient slip percs and annual slip leases too. I'd chime in on the local slips down here. Funny how the bigger the boat, the less they worry about the slip fee if it's well placed for maximum exposure to gawkers. lol

With all the dough you save burning that greasy diesel fuel you could stay at the nicest marinas around without breaking a sweat.  :D
    3 a foot is nuts course so is 204 a month mine figures to be 150 a month from May to end of October
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    3 a foot is not unusual around here as RY said. We are on a 10 day trip right now. Just heading back north from VA beach. I use more fuel on this trip than RY has used in total on his boat. RY, we will be coming back thru your area in a few days. Anchor by Veras (with a diesel 390) Thursday night. Then at spring cove fri and sat. Will you be around? Now, on topic,the310 is also a fantastic boat. Owned one for many years. 342 is probably most popular .

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• kneedeepkneedeep Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    $4-5/ft on block island & newport, RI - pretty much the only 2 places I go to. Most marinas are closer to 5. And if the $5/ft isn't bad enough, most marinas charge extra for electric.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,456 admin
    I go to lunch at Legal Sea Food and its $40 for 2 hours....... I had a 28 foot Carver. 11'2" beam. Aft cabin was at the stern with 2 beds and sink and vanity and about 6'2" headroom. The forward cabin was huge with about 6'4" headroom. Twin PCM inboards. Great boat! See it go by my club every weekend. It was a 1984 I upgraded to my 342 and love my boat but the Carver still makes me smile....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    First - I pay $300/mth for my slip over 12 mths or $600/mth if you count my 6 mth season. I don't complain for what I get though. For the boat opinion - we love our 04 290 FV. Queen berth aft, side galley table, funky shape double berth forward. We personally like the room of the aft berth, so we sleep there. We take day naps all the time in the forward berth and it fits us fine. Trailerable though? Possible, but pretty big. 10'6" beam. Dual engines. I think it is a great boat. We'd love to move up to a 342, for we live more on the boat than back at home in the summer, but this does us fine, and the wife really doesn't want to give up our slip. Good luck in your decision.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • checkmatecheckmate Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    I Just paid 1.75 a foot at Kelly's island in Ohio. I would hate to be paying 4-5 a foot.