Options

Kohler 5E

WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
Off an one I have always had problems with my 5E, just like most people. She stopped working on me again, so I dug into it again. Always the same issues, won't start or will while the button is held, along with surging. Started with the normal stuff, plugs, filter, carb cleaning, ect... Still would not start, but would with carb cleaner or starting fluid for a few seconds. Removed the anti die selling soleniod and made sure the plunger was free and it was. Cleaned it up just because and cycled it a few times. I noticed that when I connected it to the battery it will retract in, only if I applied pressure to it, then it would click right in. When removed, it would come back out, but not retract again without pressure. I couldn't find a plug to plug the hole for the soleniod to bypass it while testing, so I depressed it and wrapped some Teflon tape around the threads and pin. It held it in the retracted position, reinstalled it into the carb and cranked it over. After a few attempts the bowl filled with gas and she started. Surged for a few, and a small choke adjustment had it running better than I have ever seen it run. I ran it for a few hours with no issues, cycled it a few more times off and on and started right up. So, looking online I can find the soleniod for $65-$100. Anyone seen them cheaper? Anyone just eliminate it altogether?
Sin or Swim - Rinker 312

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't want to get rid of it, it is a safety part. These guys are good for parts:

http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/generator-parts-kohler-c-14_83.html

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Definitely keep it in there. As BD said for safety reasons.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    The part is on order, but I'm going to get a plug to keep on the boat, if it starts acting up again I'm removing it all together. I went down to the boat last night to check it, and the genny fired up and ran great. It has never ran this good.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love a solution. Hope this is added to the K5e data archive somewhere. Mine's been a champ but I'll print it out and stick it in my manual. Thanks for posting. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The anti-diesel valve (no slight against RY  LOL) can go bad, but running without it is not smart.  it shuts the fuel off when the gen set is turned off and is a safety device.  I suspect you'll find you will be fine with the new one and not worry about 'plugging' it.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Not really a safety device, more of an EPA /annoyance device. I will replace it just to keep everything original but any issues its getting pulled and plugged. Started the genny again tonight, still running great.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312