Options

2001 rinker 310 trim tabs

summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
All,

I found that my tabs stopped working on me this weekend.  they previously were fine.  I am not even sure if they are electric or hydraulic, but believe hydraulic.  when I hit the tab rockers, I hear noise, but have no movement from the tabs.  I was thinking that they could be low on hydraulic fluid.  Any idea where that tank would be?  I opened the hatch when we go in yesterday, but the engines were too hot to crawl around looking for it.  any suggestions?
thanks,
Craig

Comments

• Options
    hmmm.  that makes me wonder where my problem would lie?  Any thoughts.  I must have power to the tab actuator, bc I can hear it trying to move, but nothing happens.  I guess I can google common problems with the electric tabs.
    Any other suggestions would be great.
    thanks
    Craig
  • Options
    I honestly don't know.  I just haven't had/taken the time to really explore the details of the boat. it sounds more like a motor trying to work, but there is no movement from the tabs.  I am only able to hear it with the engines off, while I was trying them on the lift.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have Lenco (electric) tabs, there is nothing to 'click' as RY stated.  How are you sure the tabs are not moving?  I had an actuator go bad, the housing cracked..resulted in corrosion on my drives from the DC power in the water :( 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    when I was out boating, while pulling the kids kneeboarding, I wasn't able to get the bow as low as I previously could.  After we were done, I tried burying one tab a time, and there was no lateral movement.  Once back on my lift, I held them both in the full down position for 15+ seconds and they were where they started...
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back to square one. lol If someone added hyd tabs, then low oil or a leak would be the suspect item. The clicking sounds like a solonoid for a motor or valves then.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    thanks BD,  that was my assumption for having hydraulic.  it sounds like a motor is trying to move something, but there isn't any motion....going to have to crawl around this weekend prior to going out, while the motors are cool..
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    On my 2003 290 they are electric over hydraulic.
  • Options
    Any idea where the hydraulic reservoir is located? I'm assuming along the transom somewhere near the tabs?
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Your are correct on my old 242 it was starboard side
  • Options
    Thanks jc. Gives me a place to start this weekend.
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    My 1999 272 had the Bennett hydraulic tabs and the reservoir was located on the transom in the engine compartment pretty much dead center of the boat. The reservoir was red in color. On my 2003 270, it had the Lenco electric tabs with the auto retract feature when the engine is turned off - the tabs automatically retract to the full up position. Took me awhile to figure out why I kept hearing the electric motors for the tabs every time I shutdown the engine. Also, be aware that the Port control switch actually controls the Starbord tab and the Starboard switch controls the Port tab.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Time for me to chime in here...... I HATE lenco trim tabs. Putting an electric motor under salt water is not a good idea in my opinion. I have had nothing but problems with them and I am going to convert to Bennett tabs this fall after the boat is out of the water for the winter. I pretty much feel that lenco is garbage......... 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com