Options

Help!

Help! Might have accidentally mixed up the hoses on the seawater pump when i changed the impeller on my 93 rinker captiva 236 cc 454 mag with bravo one. Not getting any suction to engine from the garden hose on muffs. Does anyone have a pic of their setup? I clearly shows which way is rotation and which port is in/out. Not sure what happened during the process. - clear

Comments

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Are you sure you bought the right impeller? If it's a fraction off on size it won't create a suction. If the hoses are on right and its the correct size impeller then check the hose clamps to be sure they are tight. Lose clamps allow a vacuum.
  • Options
    Chrisvr6Chrisvr6 Member Posts: 166 ✭✭
    Bought a new oem housing with impeller. Clamps tight also. Will run it again tonight. Thought maybe someone had a special priming sequence they used.
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't run it long without water flow. My raw water pump has two different sized ports so it's impossible to mix them up.

Did the rotation of the belt go back on exactly the way it was? It's a long shot but it's possible. My belt orientation decal on the engine is wrong. Luckily I'd taken a picture of the belt before removing mine.

Just sayin'. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    I once had a problem when I had changed an impeller. Started engine and temp went went up. Shut it off and let the hose run for a while then started again and I was fine. So I must have some how had some air in there that took a bit to purge.

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    Yup. I put the hoses on backwards. I disconnected the hose off the drive and stuck it in a bucket of water. It blew bubbles instead of suction.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's good news!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back to Mike`s comment about not running an engine long that is not out putting water. Remember that advice well!!!!! If you don`t get water real fast shut your engine off and look. My friend up-sized engines in his boat and added a Bravo drive. His old Alpha had the water pump in the drive. The Bravo he bought needed an auxilliary sea water pump. he didn`t know that. He blew his engine right in his own drive way. That could have ben prevented. He called me in a panic to tell me the engine had started pinging and when he tried to shut it off it "dieseled" for 5 minutes. It was too late. It cost him 5K to rebuild it for a 5 minute mistake. For what my advice may be worth if ANYTHING seems wrong with a part on your boat - any appliance or device - shut it off and have a look. Time well spent. MT 
  • Options
    Gotta watch that temp gauge. All of them actually.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

For most applications the answer is yes. Water coming out the drives cools them. To winterize we hook-up antifreeze to the motors and run it right through and out the drives. I qualify that I wouldn't leave them on for hours. We do it for five or ten minutes - 15 max and always have someone in the boat with a hand on the circulation hoses to make sure one hasn't been sucked flat which would burn your rings. So a guy in the boat watching the engine temp and hoses and a guy at the drives ensuring goog through flow and you're golden. MT  PS some of the big boys and I bet that includes diesels - can such a garden water supply hose line flatter'n a pancake so have to have a lot of water pressure available if you fire those diesel monsters up !!!!!MT