Options

Cut in Vinyl Seat -- How to Fix?

I have a couple seats that have a small finger nail size spilts in the vinyl , Is there anything I can put on it to prevent spreading of the cut?
I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Are they all the through?????? If not you could try clear nail polish or I would think super clue would work also.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

This is what I have done, it works pretty good and is not noticable to others:

Any mildew resistant caulk from your home improvement store. You can mix any color of paint into the caulk to match your vinyl. Then apply it, use a wet finger to blend and if you need a pattern then figure out what works best.

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    I would never use super glue unless you really know what you are doing. Super glue will make the vinyl brittle and good chance it will run on you. If you still want to used it get the thick version and apply it with something like at toothpick an some kicker. Best get somebody that does vinyl repair and he could also re-die the repair area.
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FS has a point. Something strong but flexible might be your best solution. A local upholstery/canvas shop will tell you what you need and probably set you up.

There was a great thread on this earlier. Try the search menu to locate the discussion. Let us know what you end up with too.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's vinyl repair kits available at auto stores. They have a flexible glue and color filler. It's the right stuff to use, but be careful I made a mess of mine when I tried to repair.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Yes very easy to make a mess with those kit. Vinyl repair it is not an easy thing leave to the professional to get a nice repair that will be invisible and perfect color match.
  • Options
    picturethispicturethis Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    hows about 

PERMATEX

Vinyl / Leather Repair Adhesive >>??

I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb
  • Options
    Don't know about this. If you have an old piece of vinyl at home you could try it.