Options

New enclosure

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
My fix it list has boiled down to the front light (need a bulb) and my camper enclosure. I have posted a couple of times on the site in the market place section but have not received any response. My poles are fine, all the fabric is toast as far as I know.  I assume also that this stuff is all custom made and there is no off the shelf replacement. If I go with just a "base" type enclosure, nothing fancy, what is it going to cost me? I'm trying to break free from work and meet with a fellow that was referred to me but so far have not been even able to get a ball park before meeting him in person...I don't like wasting my time or others!

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    I know Jmoen replaced his too. Maybe send him a PM to see what he might do different, if anything.

Mine came with a full camper canvas (love it) and mooring cover. Luckily it was salvagable but it took $800 in new zippers and misc stitching at a local canvas shop where I also added a single bow 3' bimini extension over the helm. A wonderful addition to keep rain/sun off the captain and gauges/cockpit. Never quite understood why I had to stand in the sun at the helm or put up canvas in a light rain to keep the dash dry. Just a thought. Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    TJ is the man! Very affordable factory canvas. With how popular the 270 was is I bet he has most panels.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiki-- I like the 3 foot extension on your 270. That is a great idea and I have thought about adding one to my 280. Unfortunately I have spent too much on accessories this year, so the admiral won't have it. Maybe next year...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiki, I like that extension, wish I had known/thought about that before I replaced my top a few years ago.  Always something better :)  I'll add that to my might do someday wish.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    well I think I posted where TJ is hawking his services but never got any reply...
  • Options
    ps Tiki- I will incorporate that into my deal if I can handle it!
  • Options
    and I just checked the market place section, he did reply with an inquiry as to the color.....
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Easily added anytime. It was a simple section attached with a zipper added under the bimini flap just fwd of the windshield panel which I will easily zip in also if it's cool/windy/blowing rain. A single bow is attached at the top of the windsheild with quick relase pins near the throttle location (in my case). Two straps clip at the bow rail to hold it taught. When stored the pins are pulled and the 3' deep visor section and it's bow simply folds back and fits tucked right in the same bimini sleeve that the main top is zipped into.

Here's a pic of my drawing for the canvas guy and one of the finished profile. I think he charged me like $350 all up. It's especially practical and makes the whole cockpit a much more user friendly space whether for shade (a critical need for us) or dew/rain protection in the cockpit and on the dash eqt. Hope it helps somebody enjoy their boat even more. Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options

well, got the front half done, looks sharpe! When I have it all done will put up some pics...
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

how much for everything ras? 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

using my poles,everything front to back,2800 when complete. still have to replace the **** pit cover as well, not in that figure
  • Options

Itll be worth it. We love ours because it adds such a nice area in marginal weather.

• Options

A guy I met on the river told me that I also need to put some spacers around the poles in a couple of places where the "glass" is touching the poles as the stainless steel poles get hot and will burn the plastic...true?

• Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    rasbury said:

A guy I met on the river told me that I also need to put some spacers around the poles in a couple of places where the "glass" is touching the poles as the stainless steel poles get hot and will burn the plastic...true?

Yes.  Otherwise they will yellow, and burn, on the poles.

Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options

always wondered what those were for.

• Options
    rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭

That is good to know.  I'm in the process of getting a new enclosure made.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rasbury, that is a great price.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

What diameter poles would be on a 242, 7/8 or 1in? I'm not near my boat now and would like to order some. I'm thinking 7/8?

2008 330EC
  • Options

I'm going down to the dollar store...I saw some really thin noodle type floats and I will cut a few sections and then put on....probably will have to remove them to fold up the top. I don't plan on having the enclosure up for other than bad weather or staying over night. Most of our Fl. storms pass quickly so it is a luxury but do want to take care of it! He did a real nice job, not factory but will for sure do the job.

• Options
    GuinessGuiness Member Posts: 14

Guys ....in the process of buying a 2007 280 EC . Went on a sea trial last Friday boat ran great but asked the captain about the canvas configuration. He wasn't sure on how the boat would look with the canvas rolled up and in the boot. Would it lean on the arch or would it have a different look. Same thing with the canvas over the helm area does that roll back to the arch as well. He was a young guy so did not have the answers I was looking for. I figured one of you guys would have the answer.If anybody has any pics with your canvas rolled up I would love to see how the boat would look. Thanks for your help.

• Options

Guiness said:

Guys ....in the process of buying a 2007 280 EC . Went on a sea trial last Friday boat ran great but asked the captain about the canvas configuration. He wasn't sure on how the boat would look with the canvas rolled up and in the boot. Would it lean on the arch or would it have a different look. Same thing with the canvas over the helm area does that roll back to the arch as well. He was a young guy so did not have the answers I was looking for. I figured one of you guys would have the answer.If anybody has any pics with your canvas rolled up I would love to see how the boat would look. Thanks for your help.

Did the canvass connect to the arch, or go under the arch? On mine, it connects to the arch. When it is rolled up and in the boot, I fold it to the arch. My wife loves it folded up so she can get some sun. It does look good folded up.

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

Greg can you tell by these pics if it's over or under? I just assumed it was attached to the arch.

• Options

It is attached to the arch like mine. There is an earlier version of the top on some 280's that has the top running under the arch. If you have the boot, you can roll up the top and fold it towards the arch.

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

The front top has to be removed from the frame and there is a small boot that holds just the frame against the arch. I have only done that once since it is a PITA to configure it that way. The boat does look good with the tops folded in to the arch. Even with the front one open, and the back one folded, it still looks good.

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

Thanks Greg. I was hoping you would say attached... Lol. I would agree with you it probably looks good against the arch. Man there is a lot of curtains to put up or take down it's like a frigging puzzle.

• Options

It is a puzzle to say the least. Pay attention to the tabs that are sewn into the zippers. They are red/white, red/black, green/white and green/black. Match the tags and you will know where they all go. I rarely have my camper top up. I leave the bimini up and use the cockpit cover. I have used the camper top once all season, when I got caught in a storm while out.

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

That's a great tip. I never would of figured that out... Lol. I agree it will be cockpit cover 99% of the time.

• Options

Here are two pictures of what the 280 looks like with the top folded to the arch.

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin

Very nice looking........

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com