Options

94 Rinker 190 captiva handling poorly

I recently got a rinker 190 along with a cottage we bought. I have had a lot of seat time driving boats before that were bigger than this, mid 20's, and took it out for the first time today on Honeoye Lake in New York (pretty small lake). It has the 4.3 v6 merc engine. I was impressed with how easily I was able to get up onto plane but once on plane the boat feels horribly unbalanced. To the point where with only two passengers it will noticeably lean to whatever side the second passenger is on. There was also a small wave coming at us from the starboard side when we were cruising and it felt like it nearly flipped the boat over!

I'm not entirely sure if it's an issue with the boat or not but I don't think it is quite right. I did have it trimmed all the way down which I guess could have something to do with it but we only went on a short ride and then put it up on the hoist

Thanks!
Mike

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 190s are great little boats and the 4.3L is a fine small engine. The 190s do have a history of being very sensitive to load. You should trim the boat up until it starts to porpoise (bounce) then lightly touch the trim down a couple of times until the porpoising stops. That will give you your best and most efficient ride unless there is a lot of heavy chop in which case down trim is indicated (but I wouldn't be out in a 190 in heavy chop and I owned one). As for balance, you will have to move passengers and/or gear around to balance the boat. When I was out in mine alone I had a 5 gallon soft sided water jug on the port side which really helped. Your 190/4.3 combo will be a lot of fun and really fuel rfficient. Once you get accustomed to its "quirks" I bet you'll love it MT
  • Options
    mikemendomikemendo Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advise! I'll give it a shot tomorrow and play with the trim a bit and see what happens, today I didn't have much time. Just put the boat in, went for a short ride, and put it up on the hoist

Mike
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Mike, - just for fun - if you want to see the 1994 Rinker 190 I used to own, that I installed a 390Hp 383 stroked engine with Bravo I drive with through hulls and drive shower in - click on the Forum "category" Rinker Photo Gallery. Then go to the thread "The Boys ARE back In Town"  Once you have clicked on a picture to enlarge it you can click on a specific part of the picture to zoom in on any part of it. :-) MT