Options

Engine alarm, but under wierd conditions

cdm0079cdm0079 Member Posts: 14
I have a 1993 merc, 5.7 V8 - Boat is a fiesta Vee 260. So I noticed when i turn the ignition to ON, not start, I get an engine alarm. Turns out this alarm comes from the oil pressure switch. I replace the switched, but the alarm still comes on only when the key is at the ON position. Once I start the engine the alarm goes away. Oil pressure gauge reads fine.

I can't for the life of me in any forum find a condition that causes this alarm when the engine isn't running.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭

I believe the alarm is a warning for low/no oil pressure. With the ignition switch in the on position, engine not running, there is no oil pressure, so the alarm sounds, When you start the engine, the switch detects oil pressure and silences the alarm.

• Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭

Yes whenever I turn my key on I get the alarm. This is normal. 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Each time the key is turned, the audible alarm should sound for about 5 seconds. This is basically a pre-operational startup test to very that the alarm is functioning correctly. There are 3 things that will cause the alarm: low oil pressure; high engine temperature and lower unit gear lube reservoir low. Not sure if your boat has the gear lube monitor or not, but if you turn your ignition key and you do not hear the audible for a few seconds, then your audible alarm function is not working properly.

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

the alarm you are experiencing is a normal systems check that all sensors are working before you start the engine.  I would be concerned if no alarm sounded at key turn.

• Options

Whats wierd is i've never heard this alarm before. Lots of my reading shows it's normal, but it just started to go off. Also in accessory position, the alarm stays on till i start, not just for 5 seconds. Once I start it's fine. I've ruled out engine temp and drive oil. When I used to turn the key to accessory I would get a couple small beeps, which I assumed was the all systems go beep.

Sounds reasonable that the oil pressure switch serves as a test to show your alarm works, just makes me uneasy that I never heard it before now. Maybe my buzzer was not functioning this whole time and just came back to life, it did sound odd as it came on.

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

you're running a thunderbolt ignition module, no?

well... it sounds to me like you may have 'had' a problem, but you don't anymore.. :-)

the series of beeps was indicating something.. the solid steady is oil pressure before engine being fired, as stated... the reason is the module (thunderbolt) is powered but the engine isn't.. the sensors are powered, but what they're sensing isn't happening yet.

• Options
    Yea it's the thunderbolt! My buzzer sounded like it was comming back from the dead, going in and out for about 20 seconds before it was solid on, now it's solid all the time, I kinda feel like the buzzer is/was dieing, I think i'll replace it :)