Options

docking

I have a 2006 Rinker 360 express cruiser with very few hours on the engine. The boat was hardly used. I purchased it last season in August. I have no problem leaving the slip, and navigating out to the open water, but I have a miserable time trying to dock the boat. I always need help, and even experienced boaters have a tough time docking her. The throttle levers are extremely sensitive. If I give too much gas the engines stall leaving me drifting in the marina. Is this normal with the out drives? They are Vovo Penta Titanium X. New last year. The engines are Volvo 8.1 Liters. I thought there may be some kind of adjustment on the linkage or somewhere which would give me more leeway in maneuvering. Need some good advice. Thanks, Larry

Comments

• Options
    MIKES342MIKES342 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

The engines should not die.  I didn't have any problems docking my 342 with twin outdrives.  I actually found them easier than v drives because I actually had more control the the Bravo 3's. Engines didn't have any problems stalling. 

You definately have some type of problem wish I had a solution but I am sure someone on this board will be able to help

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

I have the same drive set up as you.  The key is to have extremely smooh thottle cables.  Are yours slightly stiff to move, forcing you to push harder then the throttes jump and the boat leaps to quickly?

You may need new cables or check for hard bends in the cable as the return to the engine or up to the dash.  Volvo penta has a spray lube in a blue can.  Try spraying all the linkage and exercise the cables with the throttles over and over.  That may help smooth them out.  This tends to happen when when a boat sits to long without use.  She gets a little pissy...

LG

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

I have an 05 360 but with merc bravo3s. I had a problem with stalling while docking, any in and out of gear maneuvering, which made it a nightmare. Both of my IAC sensors were bad. A known issue with the merc 8.1s. Not sure if it's an issue with Volvos but worth investigating.   The best money I ever spent was with a captain showing me the ropes of operating a larger vessel in close quarters and docking scenarios.  The trick is to go slow. Keep the wheel straight and do your turning with the drives. Short bursts in and out of gear. Line the rear end up and the bow will ultimately follow. Do you have a thruster to assist?  

• Options
    kusedcarskusedcars Member Posts: 7

To all who were kind enough to leave responses. I am getting a marine mechanic to check everything out. I have had many qualified boaters try to dock her, and they all had problems stalling. They did eventually get her into the slip, but it took more than a few times. I'm a novice, so you can imagine what I go through. Horrors!!! I'll post the next email after the boat is thoroughly checked out!!!!

• Options
    tkrfxrtkrfxr Member Posts: 55 ✭✭

The mechanic should settle down those engines....

You or anyone else should be able to dock with the engines in idle speed...unless you are fighting hard wind and current.

"All things are ready if our minds be so"
    -W.Shakespeare/Henry V Rinker 2005 342FV T5.7OSXi-DF/OceanX(DPS-B)
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod

If it is stalling then something is definitely not right.  I know Mercs have a switch that actually stalls the engine if not set correctly.  It allows shifting to happen with an intermittent (real quickly) stall between gears.  It will allow it to stall if not set correctly.  As I said, not sure if your boat has this (not even sure if Merc still has them, I just remember this problem on one of my older boats).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

As Dream Inn mentioned, Alpha drive Mercury Marine engines have what's called a "momentary kill" switch. It's designed to momentarily kill the engine to release gear bind in the out drive so that you can shift from forward to neutral to reverse and back. The switch is a micro switch that sits in the throttle rocker assembly and basically grounds the spark to the distributor. These switches can go bad and can also get out of alignment. Bravo drives do not have the momentary kill switches since they use cone clutches which can release gear bind. I don't know much about VP equipment - but that may be part of your issue.

• Options
    Thanks frodo. I knew someone here could understand me and explain it better (that's the admiral at times :wink: )

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

let's talk about docking a bit more as the trip I'm fixing to take I will have to dock between two sets of poles with the dock to the transom. I've done it, but pretty stress full. Thing is, my wife wants to help but I don't really know how to tell her to help. So far, with similar docking there has been people at the dock to help with lines and I just stood back and watched. I have looked all over You Tube thinking I would find out step by step but not really out there. So far, everything has been perfect weather/wind/current conditions but that won't happen forever and again there have always been people to assist. At somepoint, I will have to tackle this by my lonesome and I'm very puzzled as to how to get the lines done on the front poles tied off and then get the boat symetrically placed between them. I understand the springline concept of keeping the boat in place once your secured but getting those lines on the front secured are a bit of a puzzle...last time a fellow jumped on board, kind of made a lasso and got the lines over the pole but they weren't really tied off tight at the pole and I was concerened  they would slip down the pole and then have issue with the tides....was out there checking all night! Know of any sites that have docking in a slip 101 to review??? Tips?? I do well handling to boat but a few seconds of leaving the helm to deal with a line, the boat can move a lot!

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Look up boating world magazine ( pretty sure of the name) they had some basics in a mag awhile back. Just remember don't panic and stay calm I know easier said then done. Practice is the best approach empty docks or tie some jugs up to make a dock in water. Never and I mean never worry about what people think that are watching everyone has had a bad docking experience if they say they haven't they're lying.  

• Options

Boating is the name of the magazine look in the how to section lots of good articles for everything 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

Hey Ras - we go away for the winter to scuba dive. All of the dive boats go between pilings. They do a move they call "warping the line". They secure a line amidship to the entry piling and pivot the boat against the piling to line it up then just back in. I have heard this is a common method. Personally, I don't like it as I feel it could stress the hull. There have been some really good articles in boating magazines as JC290 suggested that deal specifically with pilings. I'll post a link if I can find one. On the practical side - I had to tie-up a number of times at a relative's slip that had pilings. I hated the friggin things. Sooo, I modified a telescopic boat hook that allowed the Admiral to slip a line over a piling from 10 to 12 feet away. It solved the problem 100%. I could have sold dozens of them. I believe there is just such a rig available now for sale - but you could easily just rig your own telescopic boat hook to do that. My rig was REALLY low tech, I used a cheap piece of velcro to attach the line to the end of the boat hook. The Admiral extended the boat hook with the line attached to it around the piling and brought it back to the boat then, while I held the aft line (or she cleated it loosely as I held the boat steady at the helm), she went up to the bow to do the same. I even did it once all by myself, but like you said I had to move a bit fast as it was windy. Best advice ever - like JC 290 said - don't give a cr*p what the dock lookers-on think. Take your time! I hope some of this helps. MT

• Options

Boating is the name of the magazine look in the how to section lots of good articles for everything 

• Options

My advice (maybe I've missed it on here already), as I am backing in, I have the admiral put the line on the piling that first is on the leeward side (wind blowing towards you).  It will take practice, but you keep the bow near that piling until the line is on, then the wind or you will move the boat towards the other bow piling.  Admiral can then  put it on as well.  We have a place here that has the huge tall pilings (Hyatt in Cambridge) and there is always a good crosswind.  I was looking forward to finally take our boat this year cause I have the bow thruster to help out.  I've gotta say, for once it worked out well.  But, the bow was high enough with this boat that the admiral could also get the line over the top of the piling with ease.

I've also used the boat hook with a loop and put it on, but the admiral didn't really like that too much.  Ras, all I can say is it takes time and practice.  We have lots of those pilings up here and been doing it for 15 years, still a PITA!

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

A single engine 270 like yours w/o a bow thruster is a really challenging boat to pull/back into a tight slip because of the huge freeboard and lack of any bow control. I've found backing down is far easier, and much more convenient once tied off. Let the end with the engine lead the show. Here's a few single screw docking tips assuming an adverse breezy entry:

• Get a pfd on your admiral (and even you), 
    • Never yell or get hyper. As for the bow man, the oldest sailors know to "always keep one hand on the boat". Watch her and gently encourage stability on the bow (always seated when possible)! NO rash/unannounced moves by you/her. Don't risk loosing the boss.  All inexperienced passengers(especially kids) stay seated/quiet.
    • REMAIN VERY CALM AND SPECIFIC IN YOUR COMMUNICATIONS (almost casual but deliberate) and know your basic hand signals. The captain sets the tone and is ultimately the benevolent dictator of the ship. Freaky nutso or calm Master and Commander.
    • Get your lines/fenders/boat hook ready fwd/aft/amidship while outside of the marina/dock,
    • Study the wind/current before committing to your final approach
    • Enter the fairway and figure your stern-in alignment with the bow as much downwind (never upwind) as possible to minimize the momentum it'll have after the wind swings it away....and it will. Never let the crew try to block an impact with the dock/piling.
    • from your prior practice backing, proceed as slowly as conditions allow, apply LOW speed bursts fwd/rev/ntrl to pull the stern toward the slip, allow for headway from the wind/current to coordinate your entry point.
    • plan for the bow to swing and fend/bump off against a fwd piling to help align your sterns entry.
    • Get a line to the dock at the earliest convenience for a dock hand to stabilize your stern but don't back in so far that the bow falls off inside the fwd piling, where the admiral should cinch a snug loop up high when it's safe. 

It's a learned behavior as you get accustomed to how the 270 reacts to wind but you will get it with some practice. Be safe, calm and easy on the throttle. The bow will swing away, all you can do is use those outside pilings as guides. 

Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
  • Options

thanks all for the input...I'll study this more carefully at home...at this point the admiral will not go on the bow so I will have to get her comfortable there while we are putting around perhaps and then we can progress! I know with the tides and wind, it's going to be a real challenge for sure....bow thruster would be sweet!

• Options
    edited July 2014

Mike's advice is golden!!!!! My highlights would be -The Admiral MUST always have a PFD on and a good pair of REAL boating shoes with soles that stay tacky, even on wet fiberglass, would really boost her confidence. I have read enough of your posts to have complete confidence in your ability to react in a calm and reasoned manner to wind and current. Getting everything ready ahead of time, before entering the harbour yet alone the fairway is super important.....and what we repeat here ad nauseum - practice, practice, practice in the open with your boat - in the wind backing down - turning sideways etc. etc. and on empty docks or pilings builds experience. I REALLY like that you are going out to have fun and not, like a lot of people, too afraid to venture to new areas - because IMO that's the whole reason of having a boat instead of a cottage. Go Ras! MT

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good advice Tiki. Staying calm is the most important thing. Most of the time, when I've done something wrong docking it's because I was panicking. If you get too close to something it's easy to push the boat away to avoid damage. As Tiki says keep calm and communicate clearly to everyone that is helping. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

As a newbie, I had difficulty getting the boat turned 90 degrees out of the fairway to enter my slip. Just turning the wheel, aiming the bow and hoping for the best wasn't cutting it because of infinite variables of wind and current and the potential to over or under shoot. Then an old timer in a nearby slip gave me a great tip.

He said "son, with a single engine power boat with a sterndrive, the key to success in slow speed maneuvering is to learn to rotate a stopped boat on its own central axis."   So how do you do this? Simply put the wheel hard over in the opposite direction you wish to turn the bow, and apply gentle reverse thrust and voila! the boat rotates. It is counter-intuitive to turn the wheel in the opposite direction you wish to move the bow at first, but you get used to it as you gain skill.

So now I just pull up with my bow level to the far side of the slip, stop, and do what he suggested. As soon at the bow is crossing the center of the axis of the slip, the wheel goes over to the same direction as the bow and a blip of forward thrust is applied. This works every time, even in 20 kt winds and strong currents. I haven't had a bad slip docking experience since I learned this. It may be obvious sterndrive 101 to the experienced among us, but for me as a rookie it was a real turning point and transformed my enjoyment of the boat.

Andy

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin

I never ever put anyone on the bow of the boat when docking. I have my bow line with me at the helm and I am the one that "throws" it out. If you think your going to hit the boat next to you have someone hold a fender so you bump the fender and not the boat. The current runs up to 7 knots so I know about strong currents and winds....

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    From what I'm hearing on here, lots of different knowledge that could apply. & lots of it may just apply to certain situations or places. There is absolutely no way possible at several marinas on the Chesapeake that you could slip in without someone on the bow. Let me just give one example. Take my boat, 40' X 14'. Take a slip I went into earlier this year that you have to back in to. Two front pilings, two pilings about 8-10 feet from rear dock, with finger pier on side out to one 8-10 ft piling. Slip dimension is ~ 50-55ft X 20 ft. Pilings are about 8 feet higher than the highest point of my bow. Did I say, always a cross wind? The only way you can get a line on the first bow piling is as you are backing in, turn the stern just around the windward side, with first mate on bow putting line on that piling. Then holding stern steady, bow will blow towards leeward piling, letting first mate put around that piling. Then you can finally move the stern in close enough to get a line to someone on the finger pier to help with stern. & through all the putting lines on pilings, well, most are too high to just lasso over, so you have to hug it (wrap) with the line around it. The higher pilings are for tidal changes and storm surges. I don't want to scare anyone from the bay, the marinas are not all this way. Most marinas that have installed new are going with floating and nice tall pilings. Really nice. & andyd, what you have said makes perfect sense, especially for bow in docking (which is what I do in my own marina). Mike, you are right on with your bulleted steps! (except I've seen many places you couldn't get stern line first, actually I've always preferred having bow lines connected loosely first when backing in)

• Options

Great opening statement DI. We get fabulous advice from many super guys ( and a few gals) who take time from their personal lives to help all of us. As is sometimes the case the advice may apply a bit differently in different contexts/locations. I do not like the Admiral on the bow. I particularly hate it when she refuses to a wear a pfd. However, when locking through our canal system you are required to have someone on the bow to hold a spring line that is looped around the lock's bow cables. I like it even less when someone is on the swim platform. I plead with the Admiral to wait to step onto the docks until I have shut-off the engines and counted to 5. I'd rather swap some gel coat with the dock than have her fall into the water and back into her. ....care to know how many close calls I have seen wherein the captain has dumped the admiral off the swim platform while docking and is then backing in towards her? Scary!  For me - slow and easy with no fast moves. I'm pretty good - if not, I know a fabulous gel coat man. It's only $$$. MT :-)

• Options

All situations are a little different then the last wind current tide different marina. Best thing we all can do is absorb all the knowledge we can. Pass on what we learn and not assume we know everything. Ultimately it is on us to be as safe as we can and protect the crew. Perfect docking is priceless we all love it when you get the compliments on how easy we made look. Great lessons from all of you safe boating to all of you and good luck

• Options

all good info I will take in...just need to get out there and make it work!

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    andyd said:

As a newbie, I had difficulty getting the boat turned 90 degrees out of the fairway to enter my slip. Just turning the wheel, aiming the bow and hoping for the best wasn't cutting it because of infinite variables of wind and current and the potential to over or under shoot. Then an old timer in a nearby slip gave me a great tip.

He said "son, with a single engine power boat with a sterndrive, the key to success in slow speed maneuvering is to learn to rotate a stopped boat on its own central axis."   So how do you do this? Simply put the wheel hard over in the opposite direction you wish to turn the bow, and apply gentle reverse thrust and voila! the boat rotates. It is counter-intuitive to turn the wheel in the opposite direction you wish to move the bow at first, but you get used to it as you gain skill.

So now I just pull up with my bow level to the far side of the slip, stop, and do what he suggested. As soon at the bow is crossing the center of the axis of the slip, the wheel goes over to the same direction as the bow and a blip of forward thrust is applied. This works every time, even in 20 kt winds and strong currents. I haven't had a bad slip docking experience since I learned this. It may be obvious sterndrive 101 to the experienced among us, but for me as a rookie it was a real turning point and transformed my enjoyment of the boat.

Andy

X 2,this helps me every time I dock.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess another thing about docking. If you're worried about something, then sit tight in a safe place (open, can move around) until you figure it out. Listen to your head. Reason I'm saying this is just last weekend we had gusty winds and as I went to turn to head to my slip between the docks, I saw another guy ahead that needed to dock.  I was thinking, maybe I should just sit out here and wait for him, but decided NOOOO! He will make it and it will all work out? NOT! He took 3 attempts to dock into his slip. I had winds pushing me broadside approaching other boats. Heart rate increases, give it some juice in reverse and clear the last few boats with about 2 feet to spare.  Too close for my comfort. I should have just listened to my initial thought and sat tight in the open area. Would have saved me a few white hairs.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

I hear you Mark, bought the boat to have fun but some of the "moments" have been no fun at all!