Fresh water pump

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
ok, it looks like my fresh water pump keeps kicking on just for a little (1 sec or so) about every 4-5 minutes. I know, sounds like a small leak somewhere. Well, I spent the last 10 days on the boat, and this was going on for about the last half. I've dried that bilge and looked in every nook & cranny possible...does not seem like a leak. & does not seem like water is leaving the fresh water tank. So, I hadn't looked real close at the pump, but is there a screw adjustment maybe for pressure? I'm also wondering if there is possibility of air. My thought is since I always use my fresh water tank, except when I'm on our long trips, maybe hooking up the 'city' hookup introduced air. But yet, you'd think it would escape out after some point of use (only location that water wasn't turned on was the aft shower - maybe it has air). I also saw a small bubble of air in the filter right at the pump, so maybe that is it? One more thing, if the 'city' water is on as well as the pump, I don't get pump noise. I know, it sure sounds like a leak somewhere, but all is towel dry in the bilge & other areas I can see. I just thought it'd be a few days till I get back to the boat and I'd look for ideas. I'd love to replace that loud pump, but I'm not sure it is a problem.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

I think there is a check valve if it allows water to leak back away from pressure switch it would act like that. I'm not positive though, on your set up 

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin

Did you check to see if its leaking from the shore hook up regulator? It could be leaking out side the boat.......

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet it is the pump check valve too..which means the water is going back to the tank, or out the city water hook up as noted. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Raybo, it is not leaking outside the boat, but good one. I think you guys are on to something. If the city pressure was high (although I have a built-in pressure regulator on the city hookup, new last fall), it may have did something funky with the check valve. So it is located between the pump and the tank? this makes sense as well when I have city water and pump on, it wouldn't kick on, and I may be slowly filling my water tank. you guys are great!!

RY, I don't have to wait till the next day. In 5 minutes it will run again. & yes, good call with ice maker. Initially I thought it was that, until it was way too often.

Good idea while I have one end off anyways for the check valve. This will be my Thursday 'fun' day while the wife works and kids play in the pool (or run around the docks). I need to clean all the strainers and A/C vent filters as well. I cleaned out the shower pump box when we got back Sunday. Geez, you'd thought we had went to the beach! (my son always brings the sand with him to the shower).

• JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

I would assume if the check valve was bleeding off when you put city water pressure with a hose on it would back feed and starting filling your tank. 

You are both correct.  I only had the city water hookup on when we were on the boat, and always had it off while we slept at night.  So, each day it probably wasn't on more than a couple hours.  It definitely could've leaked back in the tank.  I'll definitely let you all know what I find.  I'm planning on heading to the boat Thursday morning, depending on weather (we may be getting a bunch of rain).

Sure is, & I'll probably go down to do it even in the rain.  Just not sure that I'll talk the admiral to come down later when she's done working if it's raining.  I guess if it's raining I can just take advantage as well and not have to use the hose to scrub clean the boat too. :D

Well, I tried several things, including lightly tapping hammer on pump (in case something stuck in valve). Then I ran most of the water out of tank (was about half full) to remove some lines (so water wouldn't flow out when I disconnect pump - it will where my pump is). well, I got busy with something else, then when I went back to it, the pump didn't do it anymore. That was Thursday. Since then, we've used it quite a bit, putting more water in tank and all seems ok. Not sure what to think!

• explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

We have a 2007 370 and I experienced the same thing and I tracked to the shower diverter in the head. I took out the storage bin , shelf. or whatever you want to call it in the shower and behind it was the connections to the diverter. I just gave it a little turn with the pliers and that was that. It wasn't til we went to a marina on the Jersey shore with a lot of pressure at the dock that exasperated the leak that I was able to identify it. 

Bella Sabrina II  370EC
    That was the one place I had thought I should tear apart and look behind. The only reason I hesitated, I never saw water in the bilge from that area (but maybe it would take a lot to get to the bilge, or wouldn't make it there at all). Thanks, I think I will look at it this weekend.

• CaptianDanCaptianDan Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    Does anyone know where the fresh water pump is located? Got a feeling mine has gome.

"Pipe Dream"
    2002 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee
    2 x 350 MAG MPI Horizon Petrol

Probably helps if I tell you what Rinker I have...

"Pipe Dream"

edited February 2015
    Phone is playing up! 342Fv

"Pipe Dream"

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were a lot of changes from '02 to '03, but I'll tell you where it is on the '03.  It's in the engine room, mounted to the bulkhead on the stbd side.  If you are standing in front of the stbd engine facing forward, it's chest-high to your right. 

Look for a cylinder 4" diameter, 10" tall with two hoses.
    Thanks very much @LaRea in that location I have the washdown pump and directly opposite on the port side I have the macerator. I think I have found the fresh water pump behind the shelf in the shower room, just got to get it out and fit a new one now. :-)

Out of interest does anyone know what the changes were between a 2002 and 2003 model 342 FV?

"Pipe Dream"

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting question -- I'm starting a separate thread to answer it.
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Have the same issue with my freshwater pump.  I had to replace my city water inlet and I'm pretty sure I didn't snug up the fitting tight enough.

CaptianDan, did you add your washdown pump?  If so, where did you draw the water from?  I was thinking of adding one and using the water inlet for the genny since it's in the neighborhood.  Assumed I'd need a tee and a check valve or some such.  Any hints would be helpful.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

@stodge, the washdown pump was already fitted when I brought the boat and I think it's connected via the water heater but I will check on the weekend when I'm next at the boat.

"Pipe Dream"

I'm looking for a solution where the washdown draws water from the lake like my genny and head do.

ah ok makes sense.  The Genny pickup is probably the best place, you don't want extra through hull fittings that really needed.  The other option is the head of course but harder to route piping, etc.

"Pipe Dream"

Exactly.  Just need to know what, besides a tee, that I'd want to add to feed the wash down pump.  

I actually have a wash down pump that I have never used because it comes from a thru hull, which for me means brackish water.  I'm actually going to close the seacock and take the hose from the pump and run it to the very bottom of my bilge.  I can use it to completely drawl all the water that the bilge pump leaves in there.

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    I actually have a wash down pump that I have never used because it comes from a thru hull, which for me means brackish water.  I'm actually going to close the seacock and take the hose from the pump and run it to the very bottom of my bilge.  I can use it to completely drawl all the water that the bilge pump leaves in there.
    Great idea!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!