Options

CO Detector Alarm goes off while on Travel?

seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, this weekend while out on the water the CO detector alarm in the cabin went off while on plain and cabin door shut.   I also had the blower going on....and was going about 23 mph with no canvas on.  Any thoughts.  The CO detector was replaced last year and the old one expired.  I replaced it with the identical model.

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt that this is a simple case of backflow while running (aka: station wagon effect). Pay attention to that CO detector and find that leak. If it's an engine room leak it clearly shows the issue of an improperly sealed firewall between the cabin and engine compartment when any leaking exhaust gases (or even more explosive fumes) can easily migrate between the two. If you have a Merc I'd check all the hose clamps on the exhaust system rubber couplers along with the riser and manifold bolts. Can you place a CO detector in the engine compartment while idling at the dock with the hatch closed to test for a CO leak?

I intended to seal my bulkhead with some fire retardant foam thinking I'd found a tiny gap until I climbed in the engine compartment to discover holes/passages large enough to pass a football through on both port/starboard sides up near the area where the deck and hull are mated. 

These large gaps are conveniently unsealed wire and control chases and speed production on the line as there is less bulkhead area to tightly align during assembly. Sure wish it was sealed up to contain any engine room issues.

Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options

I didn't think it was normal.   I will have a look and do a CO test in the engine compartment.  Thanks
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you have the cabin door closed at the dock before starting your engine. What I find is that fumes will enter the cabin, then the door gets closed, and with no draft the fumes linger in there for a long time, and it doesn't take much to set that detector off. After that you will have to open up all the port windows and open to cabin door to flush the cabin free of CO.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

Wife tells me the cabin door was closed....however the alarm did stop after we open the cabin door.   I think it is worth to test the engine room for leaks in the exhaust.
  • Options
    dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

How old is it? First I would check the manufacture date. The alarm will go off once they reach expiration.

• Options

I just replaced it last year.   It is a new detector.  I checked the date and it is good for another 4 years.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a great thread on this a year or so ago with input from a firefighter on CO detectors.  The detector in your cabin (or even a home) does not monitor CO as a live function, it uses a level/time exposure algorythm to alarm...so a little CO and lots of time it goes off.  More CO/less time it goes off, as example.  Problem is by the time it goes off, you are already in trouble.  I bought (and a few others on here too I think) a CO monitor.  These measure CO on a real time basis.  It is shocking how easy/fast it alarms (at 10ppm) idling at dock, etc.  Really makes you aware how easy you can be exposed to high levels.  Look at something like this:

http://www.pksafety.com/draeger-pac-3500-single-gas-co.html

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Brite EyesBrite Eyes Member Posts: 5

We had the same issue last year - probably the link provided above.  I thought I reported we had to replace lower cold fuel cell units.  Merc Cruiser provided the parts at their expense as they thought there were paint chips inside.    Hope you get it resolved as it was dangerous situation for us.

• Options
    Brite EyesBrite Eyes Member Posts: 5

We had the same issue last year - probably the link provided above.  I thought I reported we had to replace lower cold fuel cell units.  Merc Cruiser provided the parts at their expense as they thought there were paint chips inside.    Hope you get it resolved as it was dangerous situation for us.