Options

google earth with chart overlay...

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this web site which I thought was really cool for exploring new boat areas.....: http://earthnc.com/online-nautical-charts

Comments

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Thanks ras I like this they even have an app 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool charts. Thanks for posting it.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great for anchorage research or exploring from my desk/tablet. After review I found it dangerously inaccurate in my area for any kind of nav aid, which I'd hope wouldn't be the case for anyone. Also, the satellite images were so opaque with the overlay that it was hard to tell how the shoaling in a pass was progressing(an important feature for research on our coastline).

I also ponied up for the Garmin satellite overlay on my modest chatplotter and it was a complete waste of money. It was undisclosed that most/many of the images in my area that they've paid royalties on are horrible low rez images that are completely useless. Buyer beware. Open/review the images you'll be using in your area before laying down the cash.

Another great free site for desk top exploring with really helpful up to date public reviews of anchorages/marinas/hazards is ActiveCaptain. 

All good tools in the pre-weekend research.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options

Tiki- I like it for the google info, the nav aid I would say only as reference but at least it gives you an idea of the ICW in relation to what's around it. I'm told most of the chart information that we use is so out dated...google earth is probably a better source for shoaling than the charts are. I was able, hopefully, for my trip to Sebastian Inlet identify some of the spoil islands that actually have some water around them vs. the ones I have no chance getting near. On that site also you can vary the overlay on the google earth and "see" a little better.....I'll look at the active captain but typically I'm looking for those sweet little spots that lot's of others don't know about!

• Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭

Interesting site.  while I can't definately speak to the accuracy of the water depths on the charts (they look fairly accurate), I can tell you the overlay is 3-4 yrs outdated just looking at the changes to the marina I am at.  This is in the back river area of the chesapeake bay.

• Options

I don't think any of the chart information available is particularly accureate from what I see- inlets change, dregging is done etc. I've been told most of the charts available are way out dated- I'm using this to get ideas of where to go boating as we have a pretty diverse area with the lakes, rivers and then throw a couple of oceans on top of!

• Options

I was playing with the active captain qnd saw thre was a desktop version which I assume would allow viewing off line but when I tried to down load get an error message...anyone else have that issue?