Options

Windlass chain/rope replacement to all chain?

Has anyone changed their chain/rope setup up to all chain?  If so, what size chain and length did you go with?  I have an '04 270 and getting tired of this piece of crap rope that never works correctly with the windlass.  Goes out fine but gear spins on the rope when I want to reel it in.

2004 270 Fiesta Vee, 496 Mag

Comments

• Options
    trickyrickytrickyricky Member Posts: 28 ✭✭

Not sure what brand, I will have to take a look this evening.  the picture I took does not show the brand or model number but I will include it anyway.

• Options
    trickyrickytrickyricky Member Posts: 28 ✭✭

Thanks RY, I will order some chain today...1/4" G3.  I was thinking about going 70' since most of the water where we drop anchor is less than 20'.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you need at least 5 times the depth in length to get the correct angle for the anchor to grip. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Going to all chain was the best thing I ever did... It's a little noisy when in waves or boat wakes, however, retrieving the anchor is never a problem now. I would go with a 7 to 1 ratio for length. I always anchor 7/1 and I don't ever have to re-anchor during a storm.

• Options
    vquadvquad Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

I have the same gripes about my winlass however,Questions/thoughts...devils advocate

1)you can't cut a chain in an emergency situation...that's bad...REALLY bad.

2)you're winlass is not designed as your tie off point when anchored...your cleat is...

So how do you tie off the chain?

Thanks,Mark

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

I used to tie up the chain until a storm came up and trying to untie the chain was deadly. I don't tie it off at all now. I just give a quick up shot and the windless will lock up enough to hold. If I have to release or cut off the chain, I have a threaded link in the anchor locker that I can release from inside the boat.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ron an number of guys I know have a threaded link and several carry a small bolt cutter as vquad's concerns are shared by many. If your anchor gets jammed and you are facing a squall and need to cut and run.....MT

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

where the heck has Mark been? Good to see Vquad back around.

All the addl weight in the bow of a 270 is one concern, tied with an inability to get free of a fouled line/anchor. Just work on that rode/chain connection and never depend on the windless to secure the boat at anchor. you should use a snubber line to absorb the shock load and to save the gearbox. 

Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

....or a Prusik knot - but I don't think that would work on chain. MT