Options

well, gotta fix that!

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

While getting my feet wet going from the house to the ramp, getting used to the height of the boat on the trailer, have managed to clear everything off the arch. Now I have to assume most roadways, the trees are cleared to the height of a semi....either my boat is taller or the premise is not accurate. Anyway, the only thing left on the arch is the receptor for the GPS which ironically is the only thing up there that doesn't work! At any rate, I have what looks like the std. issue Rinker TV- now I know I will see the posts that I should replace with LED blah blah blah but I really need to work with what I have for now...I'm replacing the camper enclosure and I have the paremedics on stand by when I show the wife that bill...I see them from 100 to 500, anyone match me up to what came on the boat? I'd think the radio a little easier. For the TV, the co ax came off with the fitting still attached just like it was screwed off and the mounting base intact. The easiest fix would be to replace what was there. For the VHF do I really need an antenna that is 8 ft tall? I'm not planning any trips to Africa.....

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

Ras, you just might be having too much fun! The paramedics are a good idea I wish I had thought of that a few times over the years! LOL ...YES, to the question of needing an 8 foot tall VHF antena (which btw should fold flat for transport). If you ever get into a situation that requires help you will kiss that antenna later. The VHFs transmit/receive capability falls off REAL fast under 8 feet. Don't get rid of that brother. BTW aren't you the guy who plans to wander all the h*ll over the place. Haven't you already encountered crocodiles on your  wanderings? Man, if anyone ever needed a good VHF - it's you!!!!! VHF - keep it tall! MT

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ras: for the TV antenna (which is also your FM radio antenna), the coax is just a slide on connector, not screwed on..probably what saved you from getting the wire ripped out of the arch.  lol  Use this or similar to replace (this is the OEM supplier): 

http://shakespeare-marine.com/productlist?brand=25&category=26

++ on MT's comments about the antenna..yes you want the long antenna...they work by line of sight so the taller the better and it should fold to transport.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you reassemble the coax. Normally you can put the head back in. Or is the wire now too short. You could get a coupler to join two pieces together to make it longer. 

Agree with MT, go long on the antenna. I don't think it will cost too much more than a base antenna. The reception signal is much, much better with a long antenna. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

MT- yes, we see gators all over the place but usually there is a buffer- when the one on the beach surprised us, we were both at the "same place" which was a little scary...and Mark, the coax for the radio did break off but did not think I could join two pieces? Is that what your saying? Easier fix than I thought if so and I will keep with the longer....

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Ras you should be able to splice it together just like the cable guy does new female end male adapter then your new piece with female end attached to male adapter at splice then to antenna 

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's a painful lesson. I keep a post it note on my dash showing the clearance of the boat arch at 12 foot 8 inches. Im crazy paranoid of my boat clearance (as you will be now) and have no patience for low trees when im pulling my boat.

Glad you didn't break the arch. Be safe. Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes ras, go to an electronics shop and get a female end and splice, if it doesn't fit get a coupler male to male and run another short length of cable. I would hide the coupling in the arch and seal up the extension that plugs into the dish. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
  • Options

Black- I looked at that site bur with no pictures no idea of which one it was or what I need...anyone have the model number or other identify which one is the replacement?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

The splice for the TV antenna is called a F-81. It is a barrel connector that connects 2 male rg-59 or rg-6 connectors together. The compression connectors work much better than the screw on connectors that Rinker uses. Rinker used rg-59 cable on the boats.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

Greg- the splice will be on the vhf antenna but I assume they are similar...I'll cut off a piece and head to radio shack to make sure I get the right pieces....anyone have a model number on that antenna? I have books for everything but not that that...
  • Options

It is a Shakespeare, the newer ones are HD compatible, may as well do it now. Omni directional uhf/vhf

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

It is a Shakespeare, the newer ones are HD compatible, may as well do it now. Omni directional uhf/vhf

Any antenna that is a UHF antenna is HD compatible. The off air signals are in the UHF spectrum, verses the VHF spectrum. There are a few HD channels that are in the VHF spectrum, but not many.

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

The digital signal uses the same frequencies that the broadcasters have been using for years. The difference is the way that it is broadcast. The antenna doesn't know what it is receiving, it is just sending the digital info to the TV. The TV is the piece that needs to be digital, or have the ability to convert the digital signal to analog via a converter.

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

hmmm......my boat is a 2005 and it has the little standard TV Rinker was putting in at the time/dvd player as well....will it work or do I somehow need to convert it to a digital signal? Also, my radio seems to be messing up and I recall from the old days (not sure if it were true or not) that if you operate your radio with out the antena it will mess up the radio....true or do I have other problems? It works but the remotes on the helm and the swim plat form do not work, I can change the station on the radio head but the volume is stuck..minor in the scheme of things but I do like my tunes and it sounded awesome before these issues came up...

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

A piece of tinfoil will fetch a digital signal. Its the tv tuner that interprets it. My lame Rinker supplied TV wouldnt do. Buy a new 22" flat screen with a built in DVD. Make sure it has a 12v power jack too. HHGregg is where I found ours.

Lack of vhf signal cannot harm your radio aside from risking your safety. Get a Shakespeare whip and a new radio with DSC ability and tie it to your GPS with a registered mmsi number. Its simple and good common sense to protect you and your crew if you're hurt and the crew needs a one step emergency fix. Search BoatUS for an easy how-to. 

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options

Your TV antenna is also your FM antenna, so would explain some of your radio issues.  Should not hurt it without the antenna.  Your TV will take in digital channels if you get a converter...or a new TV..otherwise no harm done running it as-is with a new antenna.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    and I see they also make/sell the VHF antenna as well.....will do a little shopping, thanks! If I run into any install issues, you know you'll here more but looks like an easy replacement....famous last words too!

• Options

are the VHF radio antenna pretty generic or is there a match up to my radio?

• Options
  • Options

I got a new shakespere antenna and surprised to see that the core of the cable was not a solid wire but a stranded wire- will a "cable" style connector join the two so I don't have to run the wire?
  • Options

sending the wife off to radio shack this am...thanks Rinker...

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I was surprised to see that my Garmin antenna was the same way.

2008 330EC