Options

Considering buying a 1993 Fiesta Fee 280, crazy cheap, lots of work required. Opinions?

I have the opportunity to acquire a Fiesta Fee 280 for very little money. It's missing and engine and oudrive upper and lower, the other engine /out drive is unknown, and the interior is wet. The boat has been sitting for more than 3 years.

I'll need to buy a trailer, engine, outdrive, batteries, possibly carpet, likely cushions and interior material, cockpit cushions would need to be refurbished, and all of the other unkowns,.

I can do 99% of the work myself. Am I nuts for considering such a project? I see similar boats in decent condition for $15K and up. Worst case I could break even...

Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin

Sounds like a lot of work. How is the condition of the hull? Seems like the boat was neglected. I would think that there is a lot of nice boats for great prices out there. Why would you want to do all that work and break even? Good luck and keep us posted.... 

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭

Also you don't know the condition of the other engine and outdrive, and a trailer can run a few thousand used. You could easily spend more than the boat will be worth. If you estimate what it will cost you for parts, and the initial cost of the boat, you may find you can get a nice used running boat for the same or less.

• Options
    EDWINCEDWINC Member Posts: 39 ✭✭

I personally would not recommend that .  I have a beautiful monterey 262 that I'm selling if you interested email me I'm only selling it since I got this new 310 2011 Rinker 

Sincerely Edwin C
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

Straight up, no fluff???  RUN.

I can fix just about anything to do with boats and I'd say that deal is a major looser. Motor(s), outdrives(s), trailer, upholstery, canvas, time, incidental$$$$, an easy $20k. Then there's the horrible unknowns on a 20y/o boat like a fuel tank failure, rotten stringers, rotten decks, outdated interior/exterior/design, control cables, gauges, every outdated system on-board from water to wiring and electronics to omg everything else, ....... 

Why commit all the time/money poured into a boat with questionable history and even more questionable resale value for it's age when every coastal town has a dozen great picks at any time for the guy who looks carefully.

For Sale FV280, missing 1 o/d and engine, remaining mechanicals unknown, no trailer, rotten interior, Needs new owner. .........FREE would be a questionable deal.

Save a ton of time/aggravation and take the $40k in cash (not even figuring your time) you'll inevitably spend on this old ship and just buy a much newer one that checks out as ready to go.

Hey you asked. Just trying to help. Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

The trailer alone is going to cost you $4000 or more. I have to agree with Tiki... Run!!! For the time and money, you could get yourself a boat that runs and you are able to enjoy it rather than work on it. Who is to say when you get finished replacing and fixing everything that something else isn't going to break, not work, or who knows... For $25000 you could find a boat that is a late 90's that needs minor cosmetic work and the occasional engine/drive work. That would be a better bet than constantly tinkering on a project boat.

If you are determined to got this one, I would make sure the hull is sound. If there isn't any moisture in it and you want a major project, then go for it. The old 280 is a nice wide boat and has a nice layout. You could really do a nice update on the boat and come out with a gem. Will you get your money out of it, who knows. Will you get satisfaction out of rebuilding a boat from the ground up, yes! I have seen those 280's with Merc 4.3's in it, and I have seen them with 5.7's. There is a wide range of engine choices that you could use.

If you take on the project, be sure to take lots of pictures and post them for us. It would be a good read for all of us. Good Luck!

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!