Options

Alarm every 5 seconds with engine in limp mode

cdarinkercdarinker Member Posts: 7
edited July 2014 in Engine Discussions

Was cruising along yesterday and engine went into limp mode on my 07 Captiva 262 with the Volvo 8.1, GI-H  All gauges read fine, limp it home and tried a gain this morning, ran fine for 10 minutes andy went back to limp mode.  Checked the impeller, looks fine and not over heating whatsoever.  Starts up and idles fine still, and all gauges still read fine but the alarm is still buzzing every 5 seconds.  Any idea of what this alarm code is saying?  Have read that a bad impeller can cause the exhaust temp sensors to sounds off, but like I said it looks like new.  Have also read about oil pressure sensors going bad, but not even sure if this motor has one.  Any ideas?

Engine oil is good, trim oil is good, drive oil is good.  I'm out of ideas!

Comments

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

you would need to have a code reader hook up to engine computer to know exactly what is going on.

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoops... That link was for merc, not vp.. I dunno how similar they are.. all same, have you recently refuled? It may be a misfire and knock... Caused by bad fuel.. 

• Options

Refueled on Thursday and ran it all weekend with no trouble at all.  Down to 1/4 tank now.  

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cdarinker said:

Refueled on Thursday and ran it all weekend with no trouble at all.  Down to 1/4 tank now.  

if you have fuel that is under the rated octane level, and you experience a knock due to that, your engine will surrender a code for every instance.... it would likely only do it when the engine is warmed up and after it has closed loop (relying on live data from sensors as opposed to running off of hard tables drafted in the PCM), which is the point the PCM believes it is capable of advancing ignition timing.

knock sensors, on a merc anyway, can and will reduce to as low as 80% available power.

the compound expressed as octane is all about control- it makes gasoline more inert, not more explosive.. making it inert makes is a lot more predictable when it will ignite, and hopefully won't ignite until the spark plug lights off... without the octane compound, compression alone can ignite it- so can a hot spot in one of the cylinders such as a valve seat, lip, or electrode on a spark plug...

get a bottle of octane boost that expresses in full rand counts, not just some insinuation that 'it'll boost octane'... there are some decent ones around, and they can be spotted by that little factoid: FULL RAND COUNTS, like, "+2 rand @ 8:1 mix" or some such, not just a bottle with flames all over it... keep that rascal handy when loading up on questionable fuel sources, or if/when you encounter this issue again...

if you haven't figured it out, :-) , I still think you got some bad fuel.

• Options

I'll get some and try it out! Thanks!