Options

Kohler 5ECD LOC

After 3 wonderful days on the water and running my genset every day, I noticed that my bilge pump ran yesterday (unusual). As part of troubleshooting where the extra water may coming from I re-started the generator to check strainer, water lines, etc.  It shut down almost immediately with a LOC fault.  The concerning part of this is that my coolant reservoir is now half filled with river water, not antifreeze.  I did not have time to remove the sound shield and check at the pressure cap, but I would think the system must now be full of river water and not antifreeze.  I have not yet found why I got the LOC fault (probably bad impeller or an obstruction at the inlet) but am very concerned about the issue with the water/antifreeze.  The generator is almost 5 years old with about 700 hours on it.  The antifreeze level in the reservoir was correct as recently as two weeks ago and the unit started up and shut down normally until this episode yesterday.   Any help, thoughts, or guidance would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you have river water in the reservoir tank, then it is in your system too, the only way the two can mix is a bad heat exchanger.  Are you sure it's just not dirty coolant?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    boataholicboataholic Member Posts: 26 ✭✭

I am sure it isn't just dirty coolant.  I wish that were the case.  The genny just seems too new for a broken heat x.  No salt water use. Properly winterized each year.  I am agreeing with your assessment, just not sure how it would happen. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

An internally cracked or corroded heat exchanger.  have you checked the anode on the heat exchanger?  If it is worn away there is a suspect for corrosion.  A simple pressure check on the closed coolant side will tell you if you have a leak, it's the same pressure tester used for cars, 16psi if I remember right.

You probably also sucked some air into the system and that would trigger an LOC code too.

Post edited by Black_Diamond on

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Oh boy, it certainly does sound like the heatx. When I get the LOC, for me it means it is jellyfish time and I just sucked one into my strainer! 5 min later I'm good again (with jelly soup). So for me, LOC is blocked inlet water. Please let us know what you find.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express