Options

270 FV cabin carbon monoxide

During some operating conditions the cabin experiences CO alarm from generator emissions. 

Anyone experience this and if so what did you do to remedy the problem?  I have found that continued operation of the bilge blower greatly reduces but  does not totally solve the problem.  A through inspection has reveled no leaks in the exhaust system plumping or muffler.

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Several threads on this if you search.  #1 is to have air moving through the cabin if you can via hatch/port window, ideally air moving from the bow to stern.    Keeping your cabin door closed too helps.  All express cruiser type boats are very susceptible to the 'stationwagon effect' for CO by nature of their design. 

You'll find the engine compartment is not even close to being sealed between it and the cabin...so CO and gasoline fumes can creep around everywhere.  I know on my 342 the blower intakes are right above the generator exhaust and could easily suck in exhaust and distribute it around.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

It helps if you can maintain a draft through the boat. I assume the big problem is when there's no wind, assuming you anchor correctly with wind hitting bow.  Anyhow, can you get a fan or two to create some draft in the cockpit? Not sure if it will help (never tried) but worth a go at it.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"