Options

Can't get up on plane

Have 96 Rinker Fiesta Vee 266 w/5.7lx and bravo 2. I've read where my boat should run 30mph...my GPS shows 18/I've replaced plugs/distributor cap/carburetor. Supposedly the boat came with a 17.75x21 from factory and it looks like it currently has a 18.75x17. HELP capt Steve

Comments

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

What is your wide open throttle rpm? Is the hub spun on the prop? 

• Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

Rpm will tell you a lot, no alarms?

If you can't get over 2,500 rpms, no alarms, and no other signs, I would replace your anti-siphon valve in your fuel tank.

Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

just a bit on an aside:  when re-propping, I've read and proven in practice that 'when increasing diameter, pitch must be dropped', so.... it would appear whoever re-propped your rig did it right... but you gotta ask yourself, 'why did they drop pitch?'

for low speed, there ain't no substitute for diameter, but, you'll pay for it on top end... I doubt very seriously you're being restrained from planing speeds because of that prop.  I don't know what you could expect to see north of 25mph or so, but you should at least sit up on plane, I'm thinking... but be advised, that prop set up is devised more for displacement cruising. 

you replaced the carburetor?  Or, did you clean it or rebuild it?  Jets could be an issue...

did you replace the fuel filter/separator?  it could be limiting fuel delivery as well, as could a bad adjustment on the carb... riddle me this: what is your operational temperature on your dash gauge?  These rigs are provisioned with 160* thermostats- which means they should be wide open at 160*, not just starting to open- though, the 160* is a bit of a misnomer because none of them are precision devices... but... if you are holding a steady engine speed of, say, 2k RPM, which is a position the boat should be pushing a bit of wake a but not attempting to rise on plane and the temperature is north of 175*, it could be indicating a lean running condition as lean engines run hotter.  If so, we gotta figure out why fuel isn't delivering.  dirty jets lead that charge, followed by clogged filters and then bad anti-siphon valves which are mounted within inches of your fuel tank lead.

What kind of condition is your spark arrestor/air filter in?

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod

If you store the boat in the water, check the condition of the bottom paint.

• Options
    cqa0007cqa0007 Member Posts: 2

Thanks everyone!  I will forward this on to my mechanic and see what he says.  Work in progress.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is your peak rpm?  This is important, will tell us a lot.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭

Yes. If you have been in the water a long time. Don't rule out fouling.  I can tell the difference in my boat when the algae starts to accumulate just after a few months of being on the water. 

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL