Options

Windlass Anchor Solenoid

yetiyeti Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
I need to clean the anchor solenoid on my 2005 342 Fiesta Vee.  Where it is lcoated??

Answers

• Options

windlass "clicks" but does not roll up.  Down works fine.  Pretty sure I have one, somewhere

• Options

not sure, not by manual.  I do believe it is a horizon though
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet you need to tighten the clutch nut on the windlass.  You need the spanner wrench for it, if the clutch gets loose or wears you'll get that problem.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

Yeah it happens to me occasionally.  A nice set of Irwin Groove Lock Pliers works well on that clutch nut.  One of my favorite most versatile tools.  I suppose I'm biased as they are a brand within my company.

Hopefully its that simple.  The other potential might be you chewed up the gears from using the windlass to pull you towards the anchor.

• Options
    glynnalanglynnalan Member Posts: 36

I just encountered this problem past weekend.  opened the hatch and tightened the large chrome nut and right up it came.  question is- how tight is too tight?  assume if it rolls its ok?
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Just in case you want to check the solenoid, if you have one, it's located behind the subwoofer near your feet at the helm. I had the same issue on mine except now it completely stopped working. I found the solenoid while trouble shooting. My issue has been diagnosed as a kaput motor!!

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options

Behind the sub woofer, eh?  wouldn't have guessed that.  A general cleaning and tightening is certainly worth a try. 
  • Options

If you hear clicking when you try to use your windlass and it doesn't sound like its coming from the switch, then yes its behind the subwoofer. Not real easy to get at but it can be done.

• Options

DanD2 - did you remove the sub woofer, or leave in place?  Good question about where the sound is coming from.  Ill have to check on that. 

• Options

I removed the sub. It's pretty easy do that. Once it's removed, amongst a ton of wires, you can see, or feel the solenoid about a foot in at the 7 o'clock position. Two screws hold it in position. I loosened the bottom screw and took out the top screw. Then the solenoid slid off and I was able to move it closed to ensure everything was clean and tight.