2008 Rinker 280 Express Cruiser---Air Conditioning prob

glynnalanglynnalan Member Posts: 36

While my air is on I would have a steady stream of water evacuating on the side of the boat, and now its a drizzle?  Someone suggested that the strainer or filter may be clogged?  I have no idea where to find this device to check it.  Anyone help or have same problem? 

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you lift the mattress in the aft cabin, it is directly behind the steps. The shower sump and the water shutoffs are there as well.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cable guy has it right. Close the sea **** (valve), and locate the strainer. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• glynnalanglynnalan Member Posts: 36

yes there is a compartment there.. so I shut off the valve and clear out the strainer...if there is one there?

another poster suggested running water forcefully up the AC outlet and clearing the line...you recommend that? 

I would start with the strainer before doing a backwash. A backwash is good to do if you have an air pocket and the pump needs primed.

Go Steelers!!!
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Highly likely you just have some seaweed/muck stuck in your strainer.  I sucked up a jelly last weekend with the same result.  You should be thankful not to have those nasty things where you are.
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

I trailer our 270 and use a plunger/hose adapter that fits over the a.c. intake to flush mine after every use in saltwater. It flows as well with the hose with the ac off as it will when in the water with the ac running. If water wont flow through it with the hose it can only be and obstruction or a bad pump. My money is on a fouled strainer. Also a good time to cycle all the seac0cks. 

Good luck. Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl

so to clarify -- on my 280 i'll find the strainer and seacock under the aft cabin mattress in that compartment..right?
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

you will find the seacock there. You should find the strainer right after the valve. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

glynnalan said:
    so to clarify -- on my 280 i'll find the strainer and seacock under the aft cabin mattress in that compartment..right?

Correct. It is under a 8"x12" hatch directly behind the steps. Lift up the mattress pad and you can't miss it.

Go Steelers!!!

Thanks all for help on this! reached into the hatch and found the screw in filter in the main intake.  it was PACKED with sand and junk.  emptied, replaced and good as new!
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

IF that filter was packed with sand it may be that it was anchored in shallow water, near sand bars. IF and I hope you don't, have enine overheating problems at any time your engine, if used near sand bars, may have ingested sand too. I guy came into my friends marina many years ago. He was having intermittent overheating problems. Long troubleshooting story short there was a huge amount of sand working its way through the cooling system from parking near sand bars. MT