Options

Carpet on swim platform?

rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭

Going to finally break down and make some new carpet. Has anyone ever carpeted their swim platform?  I'm thinking it might be nice. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it.  Let me know your thoughts

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

.. heavy and squishy when wet.... followed by moldy and nasty. 

Im a bare deck kinda guy.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

My platform gets swamped every time I come off plane. Be nasty really fast. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod

The carpet in the walkway on my Captiva is bad enough when it gets even slightly wet.   I couldn't imagine carpet on a swim deck. 

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭

I wouldnt do it with standard carpet with the black rubber backing, as I agree I think it would get stinky from lake water sitting too long. I have started to pull up the cockpit carpet when the dogs go swimming because just the amount of water they track will make the carpet stinky if it doesnt get 100% dry before the cockpit cover goes on. 

If you were to get the Corintian style that doesnt have the rubber backing I think it'd be fine, assuming it allowed the water to evaporate after you were done for the day.

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options

I'm definitely not doing that rubber backed stuff. Just regular carpet so that it drains through. My kids are constantly soaking our carpet with their repeated jumping off the bow. I'm actually thinking of making two sets so that we can take one set home and pressure wash it after a few weeks. We are under roof so it usually has time to dry. I'm still thinking about trying it  just because our swim platform looks so dirty after we step on and off it at the dock. Maybe I just use it when we are at the dock and remove it before we go out. 

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

I wouldn't do it. It's going to get messy in a short time. You don't want wet carpets. It could also tarnish the Gelcoat underneath, which won't be good when you finally decide to get rid of it. 

Post edited by MarkB on

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

I should've mentioned that our original snap in carpets were the first thing we took off the boat. We now use about 6 regular sized short pile floor mats decorated with palm tress to move around as needed. We have a longer one for the swim platform too. we just hose them off and dry them after a long weekend. It keeps the decks clean and they're really easy to handle.

Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

R-312, had the same problem. Agree with all posts above. Got a really nice mat at Walmart for less than 10 bucks. It is about 24" X 16" and at least 1" thick. It was made as a fast-drying bath mat with a non slip bottom. It came in many colors. I chose black because it heats up fast and therefore drys fast. The grandkids have been trained to "shake like a dog" on the starboard swim platform, towel dry on the center part of the swim platform and wipe their feet on the mat at the port swim platform cockpit entry step. So far works like a charm. The kid that does the best job by the end of the day gets an extra freezie. You'd think it was a lambo they were vying for - they try so hard to get their feet dry on that mat that the bottom of their feet are smokin' - too funny, cracks me up. I know what's comin, in a couple of years the little bugge*s will want beers to dry their feet. Then my plan won't be so cheap :-) MT 

• Options

Thanks all.  TIKi, I like your idea of just throwing mats down. Folks in the slip next to us do the same. 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve, after all my boat deals I am now a greeter at Walmart, so I get a discount. Besides I like their stuff. :-) MT