Options

Refrigeration on 2003 342.

mihalekmihalek Member Posts: 8

May be some could get me in the right direction. On my 342, both refrigerators work good while I am plugged in at the dock,if I am running the boat, and if I use the generator. The problem that I have is when I am not under way and anchored out without the generator on. Both frigs.stop working.I have 4 new batteries that I put into use this spring so I think that I can cancel out that issue.Any suggestions that may help? I don't like warm beer.

Answers

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

The frig in the cabin is 120vac only. 

If like mine, the cockpit frig was DC only [edit correction]. I bought the ac/dc powerpack that auto switches. 

Post edited by Black_Diamond on

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

I'm thinking that mine has the ac/dc power pack also since I can run with the generator off and still have good working refrigerators, it's only when I am at anchor without the generator on that both stop working. 

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin

On my 2002 342 both my fridge's are 120vac/12vdc. I am guessing that the inverters on both units are bad. 

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options

I've thought of that.But the thing that  makes me not think of the inverters is that when I am running the motors,I have both of the units working. I'm going to check the voltage at the units to see if there is any change with or without motors running.

• Options

Do you have both the ac and dc switches on at the panel for both fridges?  I'd check for fuses for both too. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

I know my breakers are on, that was the first thing that I looked at. Going to do more voltage checks in the next few days. Hopefully will locate problem. Thanks for every ones help in trouble shooting. Got my fingers crossed.

• Options

When mine was new..took me a year to figure out why the cockpit frig was warm every time I came back, even though the 120vac breaker was on for it...it was a DC only frig.  I complained to Rinker about it but got a 'too bad' line, so I bought the AC/DC auto switch transformer from the frig maker.  I'd look for a fuse on the unit itself...or even just bad wiring connections. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

Issue resolved.After not having the boat in the water last season,(forgetting wire connections) labeling on the primary wiring to the batteries not in the best of condition,was able to make a simple check and fix. Had the house primary lead connected to the port battery, and the generator lead to the house batteries. Beer is staying cold now. I bought a label make also.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you got it fixed. That seemed easy! 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

Thanks to all who commented with suggestions, sometimes reading others ideas makes you think a little different. 

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Hi, 

While on the subject of refrigerator on my 300 express both refrigerator seems to work on ac and dc both green light inside the fridge when are on when on dc only  I have 3 house batteries brand new after only a night at the dock no electricity and nothing else on the batteries are down to only about 12.1- 12.2. So my thinking is that one of the fridge is drawing more amps that it should. And when I look at my electrical panel inside the boat an the ac side I have two breakers for both fridge and on the dc side only one breaker(see picture) anybody have any ideas.......

• Options
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Is the ice maker running also I see it on the same switch as the cockpit fridge

• Options

Yes both freezer work good.