Options

Neutra-Salt System Not Needed?

djstewydjstewy Member Posts: 37 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going to be taking delivery of a 2007 280' EC on Tuesday and one thing the surveyor pointed out to me I wanted to run by the group.  The boat has a Neutra-Salt toggle switch on the dash and a tank of the fluid in the engine compartment for flushing.  What he found is that it's not needed because at some point the boat was converted over to fresh water cooling.  

Is this a common conversion to do with salt water cooled Volvo 8.1 engines?  Is there anything I should be concerned about or just ignore that switch on my dash?  We could see that I had fresh water cooling with the vertical heat exchanger, but he didn't know much about the ins and outs of the conversion process, so I figured I'd run it by you guys to see if you knew anything more.

Thanks,

Derek

Comments

• Options
    djstewydjstewy Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Ah I see, I'll need to dig into my manual when I get the boat home to see how the system works.  It's a new feature for me, so I was scratching my head a bit when I noticed the toggle on the dash.

• Options
    tkrfxrtkrfxr Member Posts: 55 ✭✭

I have the salt neutralizer, but use it only for week end flushing, between trips.

I usually flush with freshwater, especially at the end of the weekend.  

Years ago I cleaned out the heat exchangers, and found bluish salt/zinc rocks in the saltwater passages....pieces of the anodes had broken off and sedimented the passages with the neutra-salt stuff...

"All things are ready if our minds be so"
    -W.Shakespeare/Henry V Rinker 2005 342FV T5.7OSXi-DF/OceanX(DPS-B)