Options

Monthly Maintenance?

MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a relatively new boater with a 2013 290. After a first season with the boat, I only rinsed out the AC strainer last weekend. I didn't know I had to!

Would appreciate knowing what monthly maintenance I should be doing from experienced boater? I'm in a wet slip in South Florida.

Thanks in advance!

Art

2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

MiamiAG: the list varies from boat to boat and also where you boat.  In general you should be checking engine and drive oil every outing, cleaning straininers for the AC/toilet and genset (if you have it) and working all the ball valves too so they do not freeze up on you.  You have a washable filter on your AC too at the air intake. 

Beyond that, it's really just taking the time to look things over for wear/loose/broke parts.  Are you doing the annual outdrive oilchange/alingment/greasing? 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Miami, is it safe to say you boat in salt water?  That's important, and maybe guys like Tiki can chime in. He is very good at taking care of his baby, in a salt water environment.

- My boat is in fresh water, and I check engine oil, gear lube, power trim fluid, power steer fluid pretty much every time I go out.

- It's good to clean your eissenglass every month with a specific cleaner for the application.  It's also good to wash down your canvas (as well as the boat), and add a canvas protectant every few months.

- Open/close all your sea cocks (AC, head, etc.).

- Add sterilizers to waste tank, and water purifier to water tank.

- Check all joints for loose/shaky parts and secure (cockpit, cabin and engine compartment).

- Run all your water points through hot and cold water, ensure good drainage.

- Clean drain pipes in other areas (drink holders, swim deck to bilge, anchor compartment, etc.

- Cycle through all electronics/components to make sure they are fully functional (head lamp, wiper, windlass, etc.). You don't want to get caught when you need to use it, and find out it doesn't work.

- Radio check (with coast guard) every month or two.

- Do you have any jump-starter batteries - if so charge them at least every 3 months

- Inspect ropes and fenders (especially ropes) for tears, etc.

- Safety equipment expired? Shelf life on flares and extinguishers.

I'm sure there is more to do with a salt water boat. But I'd consider the above list a minimum.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hey, thanks, guys!

2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP