Options

How good is a used SS prop?

midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I've been eyeballing a few used Merc SS props to try on my bow rider. Is it a waste of money to buy a used prop? What if its a few years old? 

Pros/Cons? 

Thanks!

MW

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always look for damage..or repaired damage to start, can always find a deal out there if you are patient.  You can always send used ones out to get scanned and tuned. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭

Thanks BD - Do you know how they scan and tune a prop? Is it similar to balancing a tire on a rim? 

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Done right, way more complicated than that.  They run a trace on each blade in numerous diameters and you look at the profile and modify from there, it truely can make a big difference in performance.

These guys are by me, but there are many others: http://www.hollandpropeller.com/

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    edited July 2014

I've bought and sold used ss props before.   You run a risk buying used like anything else.   I remember I looked at a Merc High-5 once.   The guy said it was immaculate.   When I drove over an hour to check it out and buy it,  it was obvious it became a Merc High-4 for a while until someone welded (poorly) the 5th blade back on.

Just be careful. 

Mark

Post edited by mvn on
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme