Options

Bromide in the a/c strainer?

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

A guy on the river said I should buy some bromide tablets ( I think that's what he said) and put in the strainer for the a/c, that it would help keep all those lines cleaned out...anyone heard of this or anything similar?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have heard of that for a/c condensate lines. Not sure if it would affect the tubing. RY might know, he's Mr. A/C. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

I use bromine tabs in my spa to keep it clean w/o a chlorine smell. Cant say how it'd do to let it set for weeks at a time. Might get really concentrated. I just flush my ac after every use and it seems pretty happy.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bow to RY, I'm fresh water for the most part and I would think the system designed to not hold water that would grow crud and be a problem down the road....everyone seems to have a magic bullet, few of them are worthwhile...and may cause further damage. This stuff is not made to last forever, we just want to keep it that way!